COVID-19 Updates: For advice and updates for staff, students, and applicants who may have concerns about the coronavirus outbreak please visit our Situation Updates page.

Halls facilities and services

What we offer

All of our halls of residence have general kitchen appliances available for use, including toasters and microwaves, but you will need to bring your own pots, pans, cutlery and bedding. Smoking is prohibited inside any halls of residence building.

Cleaning and laundry facilities

There are a number of washing machines and tumble driers available in our halls of residence.

We provide a cleaning service for the stairwells (not in townhouses) and main corridors during term time. You will be primarily responsible for keeping your room, bathroom/s and kitchen clean and tidy. Our cleaning staff will not move any possessions when they clean. Please note that additional charges may be applied if rooms and communal areas are not kept clean.

Recycling and waste collection

Recycling facilities are available in all of our halls of residence, as well as in academic and administrative areas. We provide bins for:

  • food, paper, cardboard, plastics, cans and general waste
  • glass bottles
  • printer and toner cartridges
  • clothing and textiles


We arrange standard personal possessions insurance with Endsleigh Insurance – the cost of this is included in your rent payments. You can increase your level of cover with Endsleigh but you will need to pay for this yourself.

Internet access

All of the bedrooms in our halls have WiFi and the facility to connect to the university’s ResNET. Network access is free for all residents.

TV licence

If you want to watch live TV or stream live TV online in your room you must buy a television licence. Following a change in the law, you must also buy a television licence if you download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. If you have a television that you use to watch live TV or BBC iPlayer in your flat’s communal area then you must have a TV licence for the flat.

Find out more about TV licences at University.

Our Campus