We are delighted that you will soon be studying with us at the University of Northampton. We want to make your transition and enrolment at the University as smooth as possible. Please read the web pages (starting with the Pre-Arrival Checklist) so that you can start preparing for your studies.
Got a question? Check our FAQs section at the bottom of the page.
Welcome and Arrival
Information about your first weeks at the University of Northampton.
Discover how we can help you during your studies and after graduation
Who should I go to if I have need support with my studies?
Please contact your Personal tutor for support with your studies.
If you have not yet been allocated a Personal Tutor, then please contact your Programme Leader.
What does my timetable look like?
You are advised to check your timetable daily for the first few weeks as it can be subject to change. Please go to Student timetables or read the timetable FAQs for more information.
What will my teaching be like?
Please refer to your Welcome Pack for information on how teaching will be delivered.
I am an international student. When do I enrol?
Please visit International student support web pages or check our enrolment pages for enrolment information.
What do I do if I have problems with accessing the internet or want to hire a laptop?
We provide a wide range of access to laptops, printers, scanning and more in various locations at Waterside. We also provide Additional Needs IT facilities.
- Telephone: 01604 893333.
- IT Portal: northampton.ac.uk/unit
- Location: Learning Hub, Student Information Desk
- Student Portal: northampton.ac.uk/students
- Password Self-Service: northampton.ac.uk/user
How do I access the Wifi?
You can access our University WiFi network anywhere on campus whenever you want, once you have your username and password you’re good to go.
If you are unsure of your username or password, our IT Team will help you log on, telephone 01604 893333 or visit our IT student help pages.
I can’t see my Timetable
The most likely reasons why a timetable may not yet be visible include:
- A student has not fully completed their enrolment. Only once the correct number of modules / credits has been selected by a student will a Timetable be produced.
- If a student is newly enrolled then the timetable is still in the system. It takes two working days between enrolling and a timetable appearing online. In the meantime students can check Module Timetables individually from the Student Timetable. Please note it is best to view modules either by week or calendar view rather than by term or all year. Also remember that if a module has several seminars it’s most likely that a student will only be attending one.
- Timetables will not be produced while there is a live sanction on a student’s record
- Check there isn’t a problem with the platform you are using to view the timetable. Timetables can be viewed online, via the MyNorthampton App or through electronic subscription. It maybe that one of these services is currently unavailable so check another first to see if the timetable is visible there instead.
I could see my timetable but now it’s gone
Check there isn’t a problem with the platform you are using to view the timetable. Timetables can be viewed online, via the MyNorthampton App or through electronic subscription. It maybe that one of these services is currently unavailable so check another first to see if the timetable is visible their instead. If not then contact timetabling at email@example.com
There are modules missing from my timetable
The missing module may only run for part of the year. View the timetable for the whole year rather than by week to check. If a student is retaking modules from a previous year there may be an outstanding module clash (see below)
Why has my timetable changed and can I change it back?
Timetables can change right up to and including the first few weeks of term. This can be for several reasons but most likely is to balance seminar groups possibly because a module has added an extra seminar or removed a seminar which is no longer required. Student can contact Timetabling to see if their timetable can be moved back to how it was before.
MyNorthampton App isn’t showing my timetable
If possible speak to someone from IT at the Student Information Desk as it helps to be able to see what the problem is on the actual devise so as to understand if this is an individual problem or a general problem with the App.
Can I change my timetable?
If a module runs multiple sessions then Timetabling can look to move a student from one to another.
The restrictions to this are:
- If a module does indeed have multiple sessions (not all do)
- It the other session(s) are available to the student – in other words don’t clash with another module they are taking
- If there is space on the alternative session as it may already be full.
Students must complete a Module Change Form and have the request signed by the module tutor.
Why is there a module clash?
For Joint Honours at levels 5 and 6 each subject includes multiple designated modules as well as the core compulsory modules. It is therefore not always possible with the weekly standard schedule for all the modules of one subject to avoid all the modules of the other subjects, particularly when a subject has a large number of designated modules. As a result there might be designated modules on the award map which are unavailable to a student due to the modules choices from their other subject.
If such a clash occurs it in not possible to incorporate it into the award map as in subsequent years the timetable can change again.
Split level students are likely to find clashes between modules for different levels. This is because the timetable is constructed to work within each teaching level. It would be impossible to construct it around every module combination within the three levels.
Why are they big gaps during the day? Why is one person’s timetable only for a couple of days in the week and another across the whole week?
Course award maps contain multiple modules which can be taken in various combinations. As the modules are spread across the week, due to such factors as staff and room availability, some combinations can appear to be better timetabled than others.
Less favourable combinations may result in module activities taking place at the start of the day for one module and the end of the day for another module, leaving a large period free within the middle of the day.
Sometimes the gaps are a result of seminar allocation when a module has a large number of students and multiple seminars taking place.
What is the best way to get in contact with Timetabling?
Email is the best way to contact Timetabling at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who do I talk to if I need some advice?
Visit our Supporting You pages on the website and the Student Hub (access available after you have enrolled) for information about how we are here to support you. We have a wide range of support available including:
- Student Services
- Counselling and Mental Health
- Financial Guidance
- International Student Support
- Student Information Desk
- Student Support and Advice
- Library and Learning Services
- Students Union
- Personal Tutor
If you are unsure which team to contact, then please get in touch with the Student Information Desk on 01604 892833 or SID@northampton.ac.uk.
- Student Services