University Accommodation

Student rooms

Our accommodation

At the University of Northampton, we know that making the right choice about where to live while you study can make a huge difference to your university experience; whether you’d prefer to live in our halls of residence or in privately-owned housing, we have a range of accommodation options available to suit you.

At UON, we can guarantee all full-time, first-year students a place in our Halls of Residence*. To find out more about making an application, see our How to apply to Halls page.

*eligibility criteria apply

Please see our guidance if you are an international student thinking of living off-campus.

Halls of Residence

Discover more

How to Apply

Discover more

Accommodation guarantee

Discover more

Compare our rooms

View and compare all rooms including prices for our on-campus and off-campus accommodation.


  • Is UON’s accommodation owned by the University?

    Yes, all University of Northampton Halls of Residence (flats and Town houses) are University-owned.

    What type of accommodation do you offer?

    We offer several types of accommodation which can be found on-campus at Waterside, and off-campus at St Johns Halls and Scholars Green Student Village. Depending on the location, you will find different room types to suit different needs and budgets including Studios, En-suites, Twin and Single Rooms.

    What security do you have in the halls?

    Our University-owned accommodation includes a 24 hour security team on site, CCTV and access control by multiple key entry points. There is also an onsite police team available on each site.

    Do you have UON accommodation available for families?

    No, unfortunately, we do not offer any family accommodation.

    Is there any catered accommodation offered by UON?

    No, all our accommodation is self-catered.

    I have a disability – can I live in Halls?

    Yes, having a disability will not prevent you from living in Halls; in fact, we actively prioritise applications from students with disabilities, and make any reasonable adaptations where necessary.

    For further information, please see our Additional Support and Inclusion Services Team (ASSIST) page or email

    What is included in the cost of my accommodation?

    Your rent includes general utilities such as WiFi, water, gas/ electricity and basic insurance. All you need to budget for outside of this is your food, course materials, and recreation.

    See our Living in Halls of Residence for further details.

    Is it possible to come and view the accommodation?

    Yes, there are several room types available to view on Open Days. We also have 360 online tours which includes all room options. Unfortunately, you will be unable to view your actual room before you move in as they are usually already occupied.

  • What’s the difference between Waterside, St Johns Halls and Scholars Green?

    Our accommodation is spread across three sites: Waterside, St Johns Halls, and Scholars Green Student Village.

    Waterside Halls are based on our Waterside campus.

    St Johns Halls of Residence is situated in the town centre, approximately five minutes’ walk away from the University.

    Scholars Green Student Village is approximately 4.5 miles from the University; there is a free UNO bus service for residents to Waterside campus (Monday – Friday).

    Depending on traffic, travel between Scholars Green and Waterside campus takes approximately 20 minutes by car and approximately 35 minutes by bus.

    Are there any transport links between Waterside campus and Scholars Green Student Village?

    Yes, the University offers a free bus service (Monday-Friday) between Waterside campus and Scholars Green Student Village for Scholars Green residents.

    Is there any parking available for Halls residents?

    There is limited parking space available for students living in our Waterside Halls and Scholars Green Student Village; permits are allocated each semester and are not guaranteed (students with disabilities and/ or need a car for placements as part of their course will be prioritised, other criteria apply). If successful, permits are charged at £150 per semester for cars and £22.50 per semester for motorcycles.

    For further information about parking, please see our Student Parking page.

  • When should I apply for my accommodation?

    We recommend you apply for accommodation as soon as you are eligible. Applications are allocated on a strictly first come, first served basis. Late applicants may not get their preferred accommodation choice if these rooms have already been allocated.

    Are there any single-sex Halls/ flat options?

    Usually, Halls flats and Town houses are available on a mixed-sex basis; however, we do have several flats in each of the Halls and Town houses which are single-sex only.

    You can opt for single-sex when you apply for Halls*, but please be aware that this may restrict your permitted guests during the academic year.

    *As rooms are allocated on a first come, first served basis, please reply as soon as you receive your invitation to apply for Halls.

    My friend/ relative is also coming to Northampton – can we live in the same flat?

    Although we can’t guarantee that we can allocate you and your friend together in the same rooms in the same Halls/ Town house, it is possible. We will try providing you and your friend/ relative both apply early for your accommodation and as relatively close together as possible.

    As rooms are allocated on a first come, first served basis, please reply as soon as you receive your invitation to apply for Halls.

    For further information, see How to apply for Halls.

Ask a question

Scan our QR code using your phone camera to chat to our WhatsApp bot or use the direct link on your device.