Where is Northampton?
Situated in the centre of the country, Northampton is approximately 60 miles from London and 50 miles from Birmingham, and has excellent travel links by road and rail to other towns and cities.
Northampton is just off the M1 (junctions 15, 15a, and 16), which offers easy access to both the North (Leeds) and South (London); through M1 links to M6 (at junction 19) for access to the West (Birmingham). Other major roads which link Northampton to nearby towns and villages to the east and west include A45, A43, and A14.
- Wellingborough (13 miles): from 25 mins by car, via A45
- Kettering (14.5 miles): from 35 mins by car, via A43 or A508
- Milton Keynes (21 miles): from 35 mins by car, via M1 or A508
- Rugby (22 miles): from 38 mins by car, via M1 and A428
- Bedford (23 miles): from 41 mins by car, via A428 or A45 and A428
- Banbury (30 miles): from 48 mins by car, via A43
- Coventry (32.5 miles): from 47 mins by car, via M1
- Luton (37 miles): from 52 mins by car, via M1
- Leicester (38 miles): from 54 mins by car, via M1
- Peterborough (45 miles): from 1 hr 5 mins by car, via A45 and A605
- Oxford (45 miles): from 1 hr 10 mins by car, via A43
- Cambridge (58 miles): from 1 hr 15 mins by car, via A45 and A14
- Birmingham (58.5 miles): from 1 hr 10 mins by car, via M6
- Nottingham (64 miles): from 1 hr 20 mins by car, via M1
- Derby (65 miles): from 1 hr 15 mins by car, via M1
- London (68 miles): from 1 hr 45 mins by car, via M1
Northampton train station (NN1 1SP) is opposite the Innovation Centre, and only one mile from Waterside campus – it takes approx. 10-15 minutes to walk or cycle, or you can catch the frequent Uno Park and Ride bus service (no 18, Monday to Friday only. On open days or discovery days, there is a bus service available).
From Northampton, there are regular trains to London Euston and Birmingham New Street (London Northwestern Railway) throughout the day (including stops at Coventry, Rugby, and Milton Keynes) – both journeys take from about an hour.
For further details about train services, please see Bus and Train Services.
The University’s Uno bus services links Waterside campus with the Northampton train and bus stations, the park and ride, Scholars Green Student Village, and various destinations throughout the town.
Other bus operators including Stagecoach offer services for a variety of routes in and around Northampton and to towns including Corby, Daventry, Rushden, Kettering and Wellingborough from Northampton bus station. In addition, coach operators such as National Express cover routes to towns and cities across the United Kingdom from the bus station or Victoria Street coach park.
Visit Bus and Train Services for further information about bus and coach services.
Birmingham Airport is a regular stop on the London Northwestern Railway line which runs from Northampton; London Luton and East Midlands airports are accessible through a combination of rail and bus. To plan your journey, see Traveline.