International Short Study Programmes
Choosing UON for a Study Abroad Programme
Study in the UK, explore British culture and enhance your career prospects with our International Short Study Programme. You will be taught alongside our current UK and international students, meaning you’ll be fully embedded in UK university culture.
Each of the modules included in our International Short Study Programme has specific aims and learning outcomes, allowing you to apply the skills and knowledge you develop with us to your degree at your home university.
85% of students have gone on to achieve a 2:1 degree or above on their return to their home university. As a full student of UON you will have full access to all of our learning and support services and, should you progress to a degree programme with us, you may be eligible for a tuition fee discount.
How to apply
To apply, please select either one semester or one year to make your application.
Apply for one semester Apply for one year
In your application, please upload the following documents:
- Personal statement
- Current year transcript
- A portfolio if required
IELTS 6.0 overall with no Band below 5.5. and a pass grade or 60% in your current year of study at your home university. Certain courses require an online chat and or a portfolio.
You must be a current university student in your home country and meet the entry requirements.
Fees and Funding
The fees for 1 semester are £4,950 and for 1 year the fees are £9,500.
We offer a small number of free places to partner university students from Kansai University, Showa’s Women University, Eikei University and Ohkagukuen University in Japan. Please get in touch with the study abroad team at your university for more information.
We do not offer scholarships to Short Study Programme students.
You can download the International Exchange Programme Guide by clicking the blue button below.Download Guide
Can I choose any subject to study under International Short Study Programme?
Yes, you can choose from over 200 courses. See below for our full list of courses.
Does my home university have to be a partner of UON?
No, we accept students from all universities who meet the entry criteria.
Can I study English to improve my English skills before I start International Short Study Programme?
Yes. We offer 11-week and 6-week Pre-sessional English Programmes usually in the summer you start International Short Study Programme in September. Please refer to PEP web page for entry requirements and fees.
What visa should I get to study International Short Study Programme?
If the duration of your studies is 6 months in total then we recommend you apply for a visitor visa. If the duration of your studies is longer than 6 months, you must apply for a student visa.
Can I choose a subject that I have not studied before?
Yes, you can choose any subject without having studied it before. We understand you may want to use International Short Study Programme as an opportunity to explore your interests and career options. However, there are a few exceptions such as Art & Design, Engineering, Computing and Health courses where we require you to have studied it at your home university. These are highly technical and have many pre-requisites, so we recommend you only choose these subjects if you have studied them before. There may additional interviews involved for these subjects.
What stage of study will I be studying?
You will join either the first year or second year of a 3-year bachelor degree course at UON. We will look at your application and recommend which stage is best for you. We cannot offer final year study.
Am I eligible for university accommodation and how do I book it?
International Short Study Programme students get the same access to the university accommodation as our full-time students. Once you have accepted our offer for International Short Study Programme by paying a deposit or full tuition fees, you will get an email with a link to the accommodation portal. If the accommodation is available, you can book it by paying £300 deposit to secure your accommodation.
Faculty of Health, Education and Society:
- Adult Nursing BSc (Hons)
- Childhood and Youth BA (Hons)
- Children and Young People’s Nursing BSc (Hons)
- Early Childhood Studies BA (Hons)
- Education Studies BA (Hons)
- International Education (Top-Up) BA (Hons)
- Learning Disability Nursing BSc (Hons)
- Mental Health Nursing BSc (Hons)
- Occupational Therapy BSc (Hons)
- Podiatry BSc (Hons)
- Psychology (Counselling) BSc (Hons)
- Psychology (Developmental and Educational) BSc (Hons)
- Psychology BSc (Hons)
- Social Care and Community Practice BA (Hons)
- Social Work BA (Hons)
- Sociology BA (Hons)
Faculty of Business and Law:
- Accounting and Finance BSc (Hons)
- Advertising & Digital Marketing BA (Hons)
- Business Management BA (Hons)
- Criminal and Corporate Investigation BA (Hons)
- Criminology BA (Hons)
- Economics BSc (Hons)
- Fashion Marketing and Promotion BA (Hons)
- Finance BSc (Hons)
- Human Resource Management BA (Hons)
- International Business BA (Hons)
- International Tourism Management BA (Hons)
- Law LLB (Hons)
Faculty of Art, Science and Technology:
- Acting BA (Hons)
- Architectural Technology BSc (Hons)
- Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)
- Business Computing BSc (Hons)
- Computer Networks Engineering BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science BSc (Hons)
- Creative Film, Television and Digital Media Production BA (Hons)
- Electronics and Computer Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Engineering BSc (Hons)
- English BA (Hons)
- Environmental Science BSc (Hons)
- Fashion Design BA (Hons)
- Fine Art BA (Hons)
- Fine Art Painting and Drawing BA (Hons)
- Games Art BA (Hons)
- Games Design BA (Hons)
- Games Programming BSc (Hons)
- Geography BSc (Hons)
- Graphic Communication Design BA (Hons)
- Health Sciences BSc (Hons)
- History BA (Hons)
- Illustration BA (Hons)
- Interior Architecture & Spatial Design BA (Hons)
- Leather Technology BSc (Hons)
- Mechanical Engineering BEng/MEng (Hons)
- Multimedia Journalism BA (Hons)
- Multimedia Sports Journalism BA (Hons)
- Music Production BA (Hons)
- Photography BA (Hons)
- Physical Education and Sport BA (Hons)
- Popular Music BA (Hons)
- Product Design BA (Hons)
- Software Engineering BSc (Hons)
- Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)
- Sport Business & Leadership BSc (Hons)
- Sport Coaching BSc (Hons)
- Sport Rehabilitation and Conditioning BSc (Hons)
- Web Development and Cyber Security BSc (Hons)
Duration and intakes
You can choose between 1 term (3 months) or one academic year (9 months). Currently we are planning one intake each academic year. You can choose either a full academic year or one semester.
Gaining credits and transcript
International Short Study Programme is designed for students to gain experience only but it is possible to gain credits depending on the course you have chosen and subject to tutor’s approval. Please get in touch and we can confirm on an individual basis.
If you choose to gain credits you will be assessed. If you choose not to gain credits, you will not be formally assessed. However, the tutors will require you to prepare for class, complete the necessary reading for class discussions and take part in group work and presentations, to make the most of your experience.
What our students think
“During my four-month study in the UK, I have not only broadened my horizons, but I have enriched my professional knowledge. I have also made many good friends from around the world. I would like to thank the University of Northampton and Shanghai Business School for providing me with the opportunity to visit and experience life in the UK. In these past four months, I have participated in various activities which helped me to integrate into the local life. My trip to the UK has left me with incredible memories.” – Study abroad student from Shanghai Business School.