Pre-sessional English Programme (PEP)
4-11 weeks full time
June, July, August
Get in touch
For questions regarding study and admissions please contact us:
The Pre-sessional English Programme (PEP) will help you to develop your competence and confidence using English in an academic setting, so that you can study any of our undergraduate or postgraduate courses.
Successful completion of the programme will demonstrate that you have satisfied our English Language requirements. In addition, you will have become familiar with the culture of UK Higher Education and will be equipped with the tools to help you succeed in your studies.
- Course duration: 4-11 weeks full time
- Only available to International students with an offer for a full university programme.
This course focuses on learning the English language and the academic skills necessary for studying in a UK university, with an additional element of study skills in one of the modules. All courses also have a project element where you focus on an area of academic study, e.g. primary and secondary research. We want to help you improve your general communication skills through accuracy, grammar and vocabulary across reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Specifically, we aim to help you to:
- improve your knowledge of the grammar, vocabulary and functions of English. This will enable you to communicate your ideas more effectively
- improve your understanding of the relationship between the language and the culture in which it exists. This will help you operate more efficiently in a UK academic setting
- build your knowledge of and competence in Academic English. This will help you to enhance the quality of your academic assignments
- encourage you to become an independent learner. This will help you to discover your own voice and express your ideas effectively
- show you the teaching methods which are common in British schools and universities. This will help you to understand UK academic culture
- access the range of learning resources available to you through multi-media. This will help you develop an awareness of English outside the classroom
- take part in social activities and make friends. This will help you to adapt to UK culture and improve your fluency
When you finish this course you will have developed the confidence and Academic English skills you need to effectively study any of our undergraduate or postgraduate courses.
Duration and Start Dates
The Pre-sessional English Programme has multiple duration times and start dates depending on your needs and when you’re starting your course.
- Summer 11 weeks: 12 June 2024 – 30 Aug 2024
- Summer 6 weeks: 17 July 2024 – 30 Aug 2024
Details on entry requirements for the Pre-sessional English Programme (PEP) can be found on the English Language Requirements page.
23/24 Tuition Fees
Fees quoted relate to study in the Academic Year 23/24 only and may be subject to inflationary increases in future years.
- 4 Weeks: £1,200 (starting August 2023)
- 6 Weeks: £2,000 (Starting August 2023 and October 2023)
- 11 Weeks: £3,400 (Starting July 2023, September 2023, and April 2024)
For more information about possible funding options, please visit our Fees and Funding pages.
How will this PEP course help me?
This course will help you to develop skills that make you an independent learner, able to develop your English outside the classroom and take responsibility for your own learning. You will be able to identify what you need to do to improve your English and how to do it. We will practise these skills with you in class and you will be given coursework that further develops them, with feedback to help you progress.