Board of Governors
Status of the Board
The Board of Governors are the members of the Higher Education Corporation and act both as Governors and charitable trustees. There are 17 members of the Board of Governors. They are drawn from the private, public and voluntary sectors as well as from the staff and students of the University.
The Board of Governors is responsible for:
- the determination of the educational character and mission of the University and for oversight of its activities
- the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the University and the corporation and the safeguarding of their assets
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts
- setting the framework for the pay and conditions of other staff
- the assignment and appraisal of the posts of Vice Chancellor, and Clerk to the Board of Governors
For further information, see the Board’s Statement of Primary Responsibilities.
Further information regarding legal compliance can be found on our Compliance page.
“The University of Northampton is about what you can do to change the world around you.”
“The University is forging new ground for universities in social impact.”
“If you get involved, you can really make a difference.”
These are words from our current governors. If you want to be part of a University whose mission is to transform lives and inspire change, then consider joining the University of Northampton’s Board of Governors.
As a governor and trustee, you will help to lead the development of the University, overseeing its strategy and long-term future. You will bring your skills, experience and a broader perspective help the University ensure that it continues to fulfil its mission. In return you will build your professional profile and networks, working alongside a strong and supportive team of your fellow governors and staff.
We seek a diverse range of skills derived from a range of occupations and professions, and from candidates at different points in their careers.
We value diversity and the range and depth that it brings to our University. As we are keen to diversify the membership of the Board, applications from women, those with BME backgrounds, with declared disabilities, and LBGTIQ candidates are warmly received.
For further information about the University and becoming a governor please email email@example.com. We are not currently seeking applications, however, we are always keen to hear from those who would be interested in joining the Board in the future.
Board positions are voluntary. Reasonable expenses are reimbursed, which could include cover for caring responsibilities.
The current board members are:
- Dayo Adedapo – Independent Governor
- Damilola Akhigbe – Independent Governor
- Lucie Armstrong-Kurn – Professional Staff Governor
- Sue Dutton – Independent Governor, Deputy Chair of the Board of Governors, Chair of the Nominations Committee and Remuneration Committee
- Jeff Halliwell – Independent Governor
- Matthew Hanmer – Independent Governor
- Richard Horsley – Independent Governor and Chair of Audit Committee
- Sami Khan – Student Governor, President of the University of Northampton Students’ Union
- Shivani Kaushike – Independent Governor
- Rayna Miller – Independent Governor
- Mark Mulcahey – Independent Governor, Chair of the Board
- Nick Petford – Ex Officio Governor Vice Chancellor
- Martin Pettifor – Independent Governor, Senior Independent Member
- Nick Pitts-Tucker – Independent Governor
- Ivna Reic – Academic Staff Governor
- Jon Scott – Co-opted Governor
- John Skelton – Independent Governor
- Paul Wood – Independent Governor
- Yeqi Zhou – Student Governor, Vice President, Education, of the University of Northampton Students’ Union