Setting up your University account
The University provides you with many online services and resources which you can access by using your University account.
- Your University account consists of a Username, a password and PIN.
- Your Username is your student number.
- You will have been set a temporary password which you will need to change to set up your account.
Your temporary password will be your date of birth in six digits (DD/MM/YY) followed by the first letter of your surname in capitals and then the second letter of your surname in lowercase, followed by the = sign.
- An Example password is: 081086Fa= – This would be your password if your surname is Farmer and your date of birth is 8 October 1986.
How to set up your account, change your password and access your PIN
1. Work out your temporary password from the guidance above, and then visit: northampton.ac.uk/user
2. You will need to enter your Username and temporary password.
3. Next you will need to answer three security questions. These will be used to reset your password if you forget it in the future, so make sure you remember your answers.
4. Click on the ‘Change password’ button from the side menu. You will need to enter your temporary password again and then set a new password for your account. Your password will need to have a capital letter, a lowercase letter and a number and be longer than 8 characters in length, it cannot contain your name or date of birth for security reasons.
5. You’ve now changed your password and made your online account secure.
6. Click on the ‘My profile’ button from the side menu and you can view your PIN. If you wish to change your PIN, or nothing is showing, then you can type four digits into the box. Make sure you make a note of your PIN and keep this safe.
7. Click SAVE and your University account is set up.
Once you enrol with the University your account will be fully activated and you will be able to use it to access your course materials via NILE, read full-text online books and journal articles via NELSON, borrow loanable laptops and library books and connect to the University WIFI.
Your university account will also be used to access the student hub where you can find all the information you should need to support you as a student. You will find links to timetabling, IT Services and your university email. The student hub has information about how to access your free version of Office 365 and your 1TB of online storage on Onedrive.
You can access the University student WIFI (UoN_Student) by using your University account username and secure password.
I have forgotten my password
If you forget your password you can reset it by visiting the User Portal and clicking on the Forgot password? link. You will be asked to answer 2 of your security questions and then prompted to set up a new secure password.
I have forgotten the answers to my security questions
If you forget the answers to your security questions you will need the IT Service Team help you to have temporary access to your account (this will enable you to set up a new secure password and you must also ensure that you reset the answers to your security questions so that you know them for the future).
The IT Service Desk Team are available face to face on the Student Information Desk (SID) in the Learning Hub, or on the telephone at 01604 893333.
The application and enrolment stage you are at will affect what services you have access to. Below will cover the different stage codes and the access provided at each stage.
Enrolment statuses are displayed as letters:
- P – Pre/Prov
- E – Enrolled
- F – Finished
- W – Withdrawn
- S – Study Break (ical)
What access is given at each stage code?
At this stage applicants will have access to the self-service portal. This portal is used to pre enrol and move to the next stage. Students create their own password and use their personal e-mail address. Support for this system including password resets is provided by the Student Information Desk (SID) team and admissions.
Applicants may use the Guest WiFi when on campus. Guests will need to connect to the open network then complete the registration page which they will be redirected to. There is no set password for the Guest WiFi, users create their own password. Applicants do not get access to uon_student. Applicants may use eduroam if they have a working login from another institution.
Students can get helpful information on the New Students pages, including timetables. They will not have access to a login for the Student Hub or any of the resources accessed from it at this stage.
Provisional/Pre Enrolled (P)
This stage has mostly the same access as applicants but the student has completed pre enrolment on the self-service portal. Students will be added to NILE sites at Pre-enrolment and given a student number. No additional access is granted.
Upon completing enrolment, students will switch to enrolled status. It can take up to five minutes for the status to update.
The following access will be given. There is up to a 1 hour delay from the time of enrolment and it is advised that the password is changed first.
- Student Hub and the resources within
- NILE (managed by the library)
- Office365 including e-mail and software license
- Student WiFi
- Access to university computers
- Access to library systems (including NILE and NELSON)
- MyNorthampton App
- Salto card access
Students will receive an e-mail containing their PIN number which can be used to take out loan laptops and for library services. They will also receive an e-mail with their temporary password and instruction on how to set security questions and change their password to a permanent one on the password self-service. This password must be changed before getting access to the library services and to the WiFi.
If students tries to log in through ADFS (MyNorthampton app, Student Hub, Office365 etc.) they will be prompted to change their password here with the username in the format student\<ID Number>. If they are having trouble with this it is advised to direct them to the user portal to change it instead.
Once a student has completed their course at the university their status will switch over to Finished. They will lose access to the resources listed above after 30 days, excluding some library resources which will be revoked immediately.
Students will keep access to their student e-mail indefinitely after finishing, they can access it from the outlook website or using a mail client. Access to all other Office365 resources including Office Online, OneDrive and desktop app licenses will be removed after 30 days.
Salto card access will stop on the expiry date printed on the card.
If a student is withdrawn from the university without completion of their course all access is revoked immediately.
Intercalated students are on study break. While at this status the account is disabled and most access is revoked. This access will be restored once the student returns to study.
The Guest WiFi is still available on campus. There is no set password for the Guest WiFi, users create their own password.