Life at UON
We understand that moving to a new country is a huge step. In addition to our excellent teaching and academic courses, our International students choose us because our University community offers outstanding support and opportunities to ensure you have an exciting and rewarding experience.
With over 1000 International students joining us every year, we have developed an experienced network of services and facilities to help you make the most of your time with us.
Support for your studies
We provide comprehensive study support. For example:
- Your academic personal tutor can off your one to one advice and can provide you with progress reports
- You can contact our dedicated Student Support and Advice Team if anything is affecting your ability to study.
- Our Educational Linguistics Team offer free academic English Language support to help develop your skills.
- We provide guidance on securing a placement, which you can access as soon as you confirm your offer.
Find out more on our Support For Your Studies page
International Student Support Services
Our International Student Support Services (ISSS) team offer free and confidential advice on Visas and immigration, and organise student orientation weeks to help you settle in to life at Northampton. They are here to support every International student throughout their time here.
Careers and Employability
In addition to industry-relevant courses, the University of Northampton offers a range of services to help you develop the skills and experience you need to build your career and future. This includes:
- Changemaker Hub – we are one of 2 Changemaker Campuses in the UK offering everything from CV advice, to summer adventures in other countries.
- Enterprise Boost – encouraging enterprise to all forms, including the Enterprise Boost Accelerator Programme.
- Unitemps – to help you find part time work that accommodates your studies and build on your ambitions.
Studying abroad during your degree is a great opportunity to both enhance your career prospects and experience studying and living overseas. We offer two options:
Short Term Study
This is a great option for students who are already studying overseas and want to experience life at a UK University. Visit our Study Abroad at Northampton page for more information or download our Short Term Study guide.
We have over 40 ERASMUS agreements with partners throughout Europe. If you are studying with one of our partner institutions it may be possible for you to study at the University of Northampton, gaining credits which count towards your degree. Learn more on our ERASMUS+ page.
We guide you throughout your University experience, which we know does not stop with your studies.
Our International Orientation week is designed to help you adapt to a new country, from setting up a bank account to registering with a doctor.
In addition, the following services are available to University of Northampton students:
- Accommodation Services
- Additional Needs and Disability Support (ASSIST)
- Counselling and Mental Health Team
- Doctor’s Surgey
- Financial Guidance Team
- Multi-faith Chaplaincy
- Residental Life team
- Students’ Union – which offers International Student Mentoring (a buddy scheme to help new students to acclimatise).
You will find more information on our student life pages.
Membership to all our sports clubs and societies (including the Student Union) is free and we have a diverse range to choose from.
Our Student Union regularly holds student social events and trips, and the Student Union Platform Club based in town offers a familiar place to relax off the University campus.
Several local gyms offer student discounts.
Our Waterside campus is a quick walk in to town where you can access everything from independent coffee shops to the train station.
Please visit our Why UON page to read more about what the University and Northampton offers.
A University of Northampton degree is a degree for life. You become a member of our Alumni Association from the day you graduate allow you to access a range of academic, professional and social benefits.
Information for Parents and Guardians
Studying abroad is a big investment, but the University of Northampton is uniquely positioned to provide your child with an exceptional educational experience.
International students join us every year from all over the world, so your child will join a friendly and established community with plenty of opportunities to make lifelong friends and build networks.
Whatever the subject, our Waterside campus provides our students modern facilities so every student can achieve their individual learning and career goals. There is even a hotel on campus so it is easy to visit.
Northampton is a welcoming and multicultural town. It is small enough to feel familiar but large enough to meet the needs of students, including excellent access to public transport and International airports, tourist attractions and major cities.
Discover move about what we offer
- Information for Parents and Guardians
- Accommodation (single-sex floors are available upon request)
- Student Life
- Our Alumni and student success stories
If you would like to know anything else please contact our International Office who are happy to advise:
Telephone: +44(0)1604 894503
Our brand new £330 million campus.
- Designed to adapt to 21st century teaching.
- Full range of integrated learning environments.
- 24/7 library and learning zone.
- Low environmental impact.