Life at UON
We understand that moving to a new country is a huge step. In addition to our excellent teaching and academic courses, our International students choose us because our University community offers outstanding support and opportunities to ensure you have an exciting and rewarding experience.
With over 1000 International students joining us every year, we have developed an experienced network of services and facilities to help you make the most of your time with us.
What our students say
“UON has a very cozy atmosphere. The campus is big and modern but it always feels like an incredibly comfortable place to be at. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and so are the other students. I always feel like people in there have my back and are there to help me when I need it. I think feeling so genuinely cared about is my favourite thing about studying at UON.” – Irina Eidemiller, MSc Counselling, Estonia
Support for your studies
We provide comprehensive study support. For example:
- Your academic personal tutor can offer you one-to-one advice and progress reports
- You can contact our dedicated Student Support and Advice Team if anything is affecting your ability to study.
- We provide guidance on securing a placement, which you can access as soon as you confirm your offer.
Find out more on our Support For Your Studies page
International Student Support Services
Our International Student Support pages offer free and confidential advice on Visas and immigration, and organise student orientation weeks to help you settle in to life at Northampton. They are here to support every International student throughout their time here. For full information on what the International Student Support Services team can offer, visit their Meet the Team page.
Careers and Employability
In addition to industry-relevant courses, the University of Northampton offers a range of services to help you develop the skills and experience you need to build your career and future. This includes:
- Changemaker Hub – we are one of 2 Changemaker Campuses in the UK offering everything from CV advice, to summer adventures in other countries.
- Changemaker Incubator – encouraging enterprise to all forms, including the Enterprise Boost Accelerator Programme.
- Unitemps – to help you find part time work that accommodates your studies and build on your ambitions.
Studying abroad during your degree is a great opportunity to both enhance your career prospects and experience studying and living overseas. We offer two options:
Short Term Study
Short term study is designed for students who are already studying overseas and want to experience life at a UK University. Visit our International Short Study Programmes page for more information or download our Short Term Study guide.
We have over 40 ERASMUS agreements with partners throughout Europe. If you are studying with one of our partner institutions it may be possible for you to study at the University of Northampton, gaining credits which count towards your degree. Learn more on our ERASMUS+ page.
Student Experience Support
Your university experience does not stop at your studies, and we offer every student access to a range of support services to enhance their experience.
Our International Orientation week is designed to help you adapt to a new country, from setting up a bank account to registering with a doctor.
In addition, the following services are available to University of Northampton students:
- Accommodation Services
- Additional Needs and Disability Support (ASSIST)
- Counselling and Mental Health Team
- Doctor’s Surgery (currently shut. due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Please call 01604 644126 for assistance.)
- Financial Guidance Team
- Multi-faith Chaplaincy
- Residential Life team
- Students’ Union – which offers International Student Mentoring (a buddy scheme to help new students to acclimatise).
You will find more information on our Student Life pages.
There are lots of reasons why UON is a great place to study.
- Our Waterside campus – a quick walk in to town where you can access everything from independent coffee shops to the train station.
- Free membership to all our sports clubs and societies, including the Student Union, and we have a diverse range to choose from!
- Regular Student Union social events and trips.
- The Platform Club located in the town centre and is a familiar place to eat and relax off the University campus.
- Student discounts – which are offered by several local gyms and amenities.
From the day you graduate from the University of Northampton, you automatically become a member of our Alumni Association. This memberships allows you to access a broad range of academic, professional and social benefits – including career support.
Information for Parents and Carers
Studying abroad is a big investment, but the University of Northampton is uniquely positioned to provide your child with an exceptional educational experience.
International students join us every year from all over the world, so your child will join a friendly and established community with plenty of opportunities to make lifelong friends and build networks.
Whatever the subject, our Waterside campus provides our students with the modern facilities and support they need to achieve their individual learning and career goals. There is even a hotel on campus so it is easy to visit.
Northampton is a welcoming and multicultural town. It is small enough to feel familiar but large enough to meet the needs of students, including excellent access to public transport and International airports, tourist attractions and major cities.
Further information is available on our Information for Parents and Carers page.
Discover more about what we offer
- Accommodation (single-sex floors are available upon request)
- Student Life
- Our Alumni and student success stories
- Read the Staying Safe in the UK by Study UK
If you would like to know anything else please contact our International Office who are happy to advise:
- Telephone: +44(0)1604 894503
- Email: International@northampton.ac.uk