Care Leavers and Estranged Students Support

Support for Care Leavers and Estranged Students at the University of Northampton

We are committed to providing all Care Leavers and Estranged students with the support they need to enjoy a successful university experience. We offer information, guidance and support including help at the pre-application stage, a named contact, financial assistance, support after graduation as well as year-round accommodation.

It’s important to remember that identifying yourself at application stage as someone that has experienced care or is estranged from your parents is totally confidential; it won’t affect your application, it will simply allow us to provide you with information and support to help ensure you  receive the best possible university experience.

Our Care Leavers/Estranged Students support framework extends to our Halls of Residence. A room is guaranteed for all new, full-time and first year students who apply and accept a room offer by the given deadline each year, with year-round tenancies available. Find out more on our Accommodation page.


Preparing Care Leavers and Estranged Students for independence at University

We understand that moving away for university can be an overwhelming process. To help make this a simple and smooth process, we have ensured that we keep our students notified about our accommodation services.

Once the University of Northampton is your firm choice on your UCAS application, you will be given access to our Housing portal and will be able to apply for accommodation in our Halls of Residence. Our Halls of Residence are usually leased only for the academic year, however students can apply for a 52-week contract to cover the summer period too.

You could also be eligible to apply for our Care Leavers / Estranged Students Accommodation Award, which provides 5 students with access to a fully-funded room in our Halls of Residence for the academic year 2024/25.

Guidance is also available to students when searching for long-term accommodation within the private sector with the support of our private sector Housing Team. Please contact for more information.

If you are not living in our Halls of Residence, you may be eligible to apply for our Care Leaver/Foyer/Estranged Student Travel Award, which provides 10 students with an award of £1,000 towards their travel costs for the academic year 2024/25.

Financial support for Care Leavers and Estranged Students in higher education

For our students that have experienced care or are estranged from their parents, they can make an application for our Care Leaver/Estranged Student/Foyer Award which provides financial support for living costs while at university. Please note, International and EU students are unable to apply for this award.

For additional financial guidance and assistance, contact our Financial Guidance Team on 01604 893299 or via email to They will answer any further queries you may have about funding your studies.

Find out more about financial support for care leavers and estranged students below.

Financial support

Care Leavers and Estranged Students education support

Our support for Care Leavers and Estranged students starts from the application process and guides you all the way through to post-graduation careers advice.

We provide you with a named contact. This is a member of support staff who can give you the guidance and advice you need. You can contact Nicky West, at the Student Information Desk:

Our Student Support hub also has all the contacts you need for support on your wellbeing, studies, social life and living on campus, and work and employability.

Stand alone pledge

For other Care Leavers / Estranged Student support services outside of the University of Northampton, you can also contact:

  • Propel for course overviews and factsheets supporting young people leaving care
  • The National Network for the Education of Care Leavers for resources and details on events.
  • StandAlone offer support services to prevent estranged students becoming vulnerable. The University of Northampton has also signed the StandAlone Pledge. This means we are publicly committing our institution to supporting students who are studying without the support or approval of a family network.

Foster Carers and Social Workers can also continue to provide support for Care Leavers at university. We’ve provided some helpful information on how below.

Foster Carers/Social Workers

If you need some assurance about getting started with your studies and life on campus, why not book onto one of our Open Days to have a taster of your desired course, see what life at the University of Northampton is like and receive further guidance on your decision?

Our Campus