Care leaver / Foyer / estranged student travel award

If you are from a care background, a Foyer or other homeless project, or you have been assessed as an estranged student by your funding provider (you do not have any contact with your parents), you may be eligible to apply for the Care Leaver/Foyer/Estranged Student Travel Award – an award of up to £1,000 per year to help with the costs of your travel to campus.

To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

  • you are living in accommodation off campus and travelling by car or public transport to university
  • you must be living a minimum of one mile from the campus
  • you are under the age of 25 on the first day of the first academic year of your course (1 September for courses starting in the autumn term)
  • you are a ‘home’ student enrolled on a full-time undergraduate course at the University of Northampton. EU and International students are not eligible to apply for this award
  • you must have been in care, or under a care order, for a period of at least thirteen weeks since the age of 14 or you are from a Foyer/other homeless project, or you are estranged from your parents (you must provide a supporting letter from your Local Authority, support worker, Foyer Federation, or evidence of your estrangement to confirm this)
  • you must not be living with parents or receiving any financial support from parents

Please note that students that receive the Travel Award will not be automatically eligible for a parking permit at any UON sites – they will need to follow all stated application procedures and pay for parking permits using the Award if necessary.

How to apply for the travel award

To apply, you must complete a Care Leaver/Foyer/Estranged Student Travel Award application form and include supporting evidence.

If you are eligible to receive the award, it will usually be paid in 3 instalments per year (September/January/April). Please note that you will need to re-apply in subsequent years.

You may also be eligible for the Care Leaver/Foyer/Estranged Student Award.


Applications are now closed and will open again for 2024/25 in August 2024.

Our Campus