Both campuses are easy to access by public and private transport. Please see car parking information below as well as further information about bus and train services and other forms of transport.

Car parking

We provide daytime parking on campus for students who live off-site. It is advisable that you arrive in plenty of time if you want to park on campus as the car parks can get quite congested. After you have accepted your confirmed course place you will be able to apply for a non-residential student car park barrier card to gain access to the campus car parks. There is a non-refundable admin fee for this barrier card. Please note that forms will not be processed until the beginning of September.

The barrier card will only last until 2018 due to the University’s move to Waterside Campus.

By parking your vehicle on campus you agree to a parking contract. If you do not park according to the conditions of this contract you will be issued a £70 Civil Parking Notice (CPN). The CPN charge will be reduced to £35 if you pay within 14 days.


If you are a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate student living off-campus and your home or term time address is within 1.5 miles of either campus you will be unable to park at Avenue or Park Campus. Further information can be found in the list of restricted postcodes within NN2.

If you have given proof of exceptional circumstances, such as health reasons or family care commitments you will be permitted to park on campus. Disabled parking spaces are available on both campuses. If you require specialist arrangements to be made, please contact the Additional Student Support and Inclusion Services Team (ASSIST).

How to apply for a halls of residence parking permit

The spring term permit application is now closed, please note that we cannot accept late applicants as all permits have been awarded.

If you have an official placement you can contact and ask to be put on the waiting list, should a student no longer need their allocated permit. The scheme is not ‘first come, first served’, it operates on a needs-based criteria model.

Permits are only valid for the term stated on the front of the permit; you must re-apply for a new permit each term. Applications for summer 2018 permits will be accepted from early March 2018. Please note that if you were successful for the spring term this does not guarantee that you will be successful for the summer term.

Parking permits cost:

£50 every term – including Christmas, Easter and summer vacation
£30 every half-term – up to six weeks

Permits are non-refundable and non-transferable. Please refer to the University’s terms and conditions for on-campus parking.

Should you need to speak to someone in relation to residential car parking please contact To find out more about parking at the University, please visit our Expectations of Parking post on Medium.

Successful applicants – what you need to know

If you have been successful in obtaining a permit you can collect it from the Welcome Building, Park Campus from 5 January 2018 onwards.

You are required to park your vehicle in the designated car park for your Hall of Residence:

  • Car Park 11 if living in John Clare, Charles Bradlaugh or Margaret Bondfield Halls
  • Car Park 14 if living in Simon Senlis, Spencer Perceval or William Carey Halls
  • Car Park 1 if living in Bassett Lowke Hall (Avenue Campus)

Do not park on campus roadways, footpaths or grassed areas. Only registered Blue Badge holders should park in marked disabled parking bays, with a valid Blue Badge clearly displayed. Please note that parking enforcement is undertaken on campus by The Car Parking Partnership on behalf of UON.

You will need to take your barrier access card with you at all times when driving off-campus, in order to gain entry to your designated car park on your return.

If you change your vehicle for any reason, or if you lose your permit or barrier access card, please email details to as soon as you can (including the old and new vehicle registration number), so that a new permit and/or barrier card can be issued to you. Please note that there is a £5 charge for re-issuing either a permit or a barrier access card.

Lift sharing

If you want to save money and reduce pollution when travelling to the University, Northamptonshire’s MyTravelShare website is designed to help you get in touch with potential lift sharing companions. MyTravel Share is operated in partnership with