Teaching English for Academic Purposes (TEAP) MA
2 years distance learning
Get in touch
For questions regarding study and admissions please contact us:
UK/EU Students enquiries
International Students enquiries
This suite of master’s level courses (from PG Cert to full MA) is for people who teach / or who are interested in teaching English for Academic Purposes (TEAP). This distance learning programme has been designed to not only develop you as a TEAP practitioner, but also for you to develop the skills and experience necessary for publishing research in EAP. The programme is aligned to the BALEAP (global forum for EAP professionals) TEAP competencies and will enable you to work towards compiling your BALEAP TEAP portfolio.
There is no discrete teaching practice element to the programme, although you will be encouraged to apply what you learn to your current teaching practice (if teaching). There will be an option to join us in Northampton for a summer school to undertake teaching practice and observations.
- Taught exclusively by lecturers with BALEAP TEAP and (Higher Education Academy) HEA fellowship status.
- Option to study PG Cert, PG Dip, or MA
Take a look around our Waterside campus
If you’d like to see more of our Waterside campus, come and join us for a socially distanced CAMPUS TOUR.
This distinctive distance learning programme develops theory-informed TEAP practitioners and practice.
You can choose to study the Postgraduate Certificate Teaching English for Academic Purposes TEAP, Postgraduate Diploma Teaching English for Academic Purposes TEAP, or the full MA Teaching English for Academic Purposes TEAP.
Led by experienced practitioners and academics in a collaborative and supportive network, the MA TEAP applies theory from Education and Applied Linguistics to classroom practice and the BALEAP TEAP competencies. Graduates from the programme will be TEAP practitioners who can positively contribute to the field from a theory-driven yet practice focused perspective. By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain and critique concepts and theories relevant to the Teaching of English for Academic Purposes which are complex, conceptually challenging, and at the forefront of the discipline.
- Successfully select and apply relevant concepts and theories to the Teaching English for Academic Purpose in a variety of contexts in order to enhance TEAP practice.
- Competently design and undertake research, with consideration of ethical issues, to enable the achievement of aims and to inform individual TEAP practice.
- Identify the sociological and political factors which influence EAP and critically analyse the implications for TEAP pedagogy.
- Critically evaluate TEAP pedagogy to make informed judgements about application in different contexts.
All assessments on the programme are designed to encourage classroom/ practice-based research and to encourage the sharing of ideas and results with peers.
Methods of Learning
This is an online course. The course has been designed to be highly interactive and as such, you will be expected to regularly interact with your course cohort online.
UK & EU
£1,080 per 30 credits
£2,160 per 60 credits
If you would like to find out more about this course or register your interest please email Bob Fisher: firstname.lastname@example.org