Travel and Transport
These pages outline the travel and transport information for the University from 18 November 2019.
Since September 2019 students are able to apply for permission to park on the Waterside Campus during term-time.
We are able to offer:
- Limited parking in car park 3 for students who live on campus and need to travel for a placement as part of their course (for example Nursing students).
- Limited daytime parking in car park 4 for those students commuting into the University between the hours of 8am and 6pm.
Further to this, there have been some amendments to existing permit types for academic year 2019/20. All parking permits are summarised below:
Process and Criteria
|ASSIST||£35 per term
(for new applicants only)
|ASSIST application form with medical evidence||Unlimited|
|Blue Badge Holders||Free of Charge||ASSIST application form with valid Blue Badge||Unlimited|
|£100 per term||
Permit application form.
Residence at Waterside Student Village completing an official University placement.
|£35 per term||
Permit application form.
Residence at least 3 miles from campus.
|Scholars Green Student Village (on Boughton Green Road)||£100 per term||
Permit application form.
Residence at Scholars Green Student Village.
Due to a limited number of spaces, we are unable to guarantee every student access to parking, so to make this as fair as possible, each permit category will be assessed using the following criteria:
- Are you residing in the relevant Halls for the permit you are applying?
- Does your course involve placements?
- Are you a registered carer or caring for immediate family member with ill health? (evidence required)
- Are you a commuting student from a term time address that is more than 3 miles away from your main campus?
- Are you a commuting student from a term time address that is more than 2 miles away from the Sixfields Park and Ride?
- How accessible is public transport from your home/term time to your main campus?
Applications for Term Two (January – March 2020) have now closed. Applications for Term Three (April – July 31 2020) will open on Monday 16 March and close on Sunday 22 March at 23:59. Once live the application form will be available on this page. This includes permits for:
- Student commuting (Waterside car park 4)
- Student placement (Residential, Waterside car park 3 & Scholars Green Student Village on Boughton Green Road)
Parking for Blue Badge and ASSIST can be applied for at any point during the Academic Year, please download the application form below:
For more information on Blue Badge and ASSIST park please visit our Student Car Parking for Blue Badge and ASSIST web page.
Please ensure you have fully understood the application terms and conditions, have read the guidance on completing your application and have submitted to the correct email by the closing date (27 November).
Return completed application (in the downloaded format) to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (ALL permit applications)
- ASSIST@northampton.ac.uk (ASSIST/Blue Badge applications)
For information on bus routes and railway services please visit our bus and train services web page.
Cycling and walking
Our main campus is located in the centre of town, meaning that there are plenty of cycling and walking routes to get to us. See our cycling tips and recommended routes.
There are dedicated motorcycle parking areas at Waterside and St George’s Avenue with large galvanised steel bars to anchor bikes to for improved security. All motorcycles must be parked in the dedicated parking and must not park in cycle shelters, dedicated line marked car bays or other non-designated areas.
Parking for motorcycles is free due to the smaller parking space they require and the less demand they put on the local streets and traffic congestion.
Motorcycle will not be recognised by the ANPR system due to not having a front registration plate. Instead they will have to contact security at the barrier intercom to be allowed entry, giving their name and registration for validity.
Evening Parking, Waterside
In a response to feedback regarding short term access to parking during the evening and weekends, students can now park in Car Park 1 at the following times without a permit, please note that no overnight stays are permitted:
- Monday to Friday, from 17:00 to 00:00 – 50p
- Saturday and Sunday, from 07:00 to 00:00 – £1 per day
- If your vehicle has not left the site by midnight an automatic Parking Charge Notice (PCN) will be issued
If you have any questions about parking or travelling to and from the University, please contact
email@example.com or see the further information on these pages.
If Car Park 1 is full, there are a number of Borough Council town centre car parks.
Directions to Waterside
Waterside Campus has one main entrance via University Drive, off the Bedford Road (A428). Access to the visitor car park (car park 2) can only be accessed this way – vehicles cannot drive through the campus. Please see the campus travel map.
For Sat Nav systems, please use:
- Waterside Campus – NN1 5PH
- Bedford Road – NN1 5NS
- St George’s Avenue – NN2 6JB
- Barrack Road (A508) – NN1 5NS
- Kingsley Road (A5095) – NN2 7BL
- Sixfields Park and Ride – NN5 5JT
- Download the St George’s Avenue map.
*RingGo charge a fee of 20p per transaction and automatically opts the user in for text message alerts for an additional 20p. Please consider this when you choose your payment preference.
Our brand new £330 million campus.
- Designed to adapt to 21st century teaching.
- Full range of integrated learning environments.
- 24/7 library and learning zone.
- Low environmental impact.