Travel and Transport
These pages outline the travel and transport information for the University from 9 September 2019.
From August 2019 students will have the opportunity to apply for permission to park on the Waterside Campus during term-time.
We are able to offer:
- Parking in car park 3 for students who live on campus and need to travel for a placement as part of their course (for example Nursing students).
- Limited daytime parking in car park 4 for those students commuting into the University between the hours of 8am and 6pm.
Further to this, there have been some amendments to existing permit types for academic year 2019/20. All parking permits are summarised below:
Availability* Subject to qualification criteria
|ASSIST||£35 per term
(for new applicants only)
|Full Academic Year||Unlimited|
|Blue Badge Holders||Free of Charge||Full Academic Year||Unlimited|
|£60 term one||Term only||40 permits|
|£35 per term||Term only||120 permits|
|St George’s Avenue||Free of Charge||Term one only
(1 September – 31 December)
|Boughton Green Road Halls||£60 term one||Term only||70 permits|
Due to a limited number of spaces, we are unable to guarantee every student access to parking, so to make this as fair as possible, each permit category will be assessed using the following criteria:
- Are you based or living at Waterside?
- Does your course involve placements?
- Are you a registered carer or caring for immediate family member with ill health (evidence required)?
- Are you a commuting student from a term time address that is more than 3 miles away from your main campus?
- How accessible is public transport from your home/term time to your main campus?
Applications for Term One are now closed but will reopen for Term Two from the 18 – 25 November. Please check back here for Term Two applications forms:
- Student commuting (Waterside car park 4, St Georges Avenue car park 1) – Opens 18 November
- Student placement (Residential, Waterside, car park 3 & Boughton Green Road) – Opens 18 November
Parking for Blue Badge and ASSIST can be applied for at any point during the Academic Year, please download the application form below:
For more information on Blue Badge and ASSIST park please visit our Student Car Parking for Blue Badge and ASSIST web page.
Return completed application (in the downloaded format) to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Waterside / FAST commuting),
- email@example.com (Waterside residential, Boughton Green Road),
- ASSIST@northampton.ac.uk (ASSIST/Blue Badge applications)
For information on bus routes and railway services please visit our bus and train services web page.
There are dedicated motorcycle parking areas at Waterside and St George’s Avenue with large galvanised steel bars to anchor bikes to for improved security. All motorcycles must be parked in the dedicated parking and must not park in cycle shelters, dedicated line marked car bays or other non-designated areas.
Parking for motorcycles is free due to the smaller parking space they require and the less demand they put on the local streets and traffic congestion.
Motorcycle will not be recognised by the ANPR system due to not having a front registration plate. Instead they will have to contact security at the barrier intercom to be allowed entry, giving their name and registration for validity.
The University has the following spaces which can be booked for visitors attending University official business only :
- Waterside car park 2: 52 spaces
- St Georges Avenue car park 3: 12 spaces
In order to utilise the designated car parks visitors are required to pre-register their vehicle in order to be approved on the vehicle ‘white list’ and given access. Once registered the barriers will automatically open on arrival through Automatic Number Plate Recognition.
Staff can register their visitor’s vehicle details prior to their arrival to allow them access and book them a space.
Alternatively visitors can book their own parking by visiting our Guest Parking web page. Your request will be approved or denied depending on the spaces available and the visitor will receive an email with the relevant information for either scenario. Please book at least 24 hours’ in advance to avoid disappointment.
Parking charges are applicable to all visitors, except Blue Badge holders and motorbikes. Visitors are required to pay on arrival using either the cashless payment machine or RingGo app*, phone number or website, a receipt option will be available. Visitors will be given a receipt option upon payment should they be able to claim parking costs back from their employer/company.
Tariffs (Monday to Friday)
- Free for first 30-minutes in any day (to allow equipment drop-off/pick-up)
- £1.00 for up to three hours (between 7am and 5pm)
- £2.00 for three to six hours (between 7am and 5pm)
- £3.00 for whole day (between midnight and midnight)
- £0.50 for evening only (5pm to midnight)
- £0.50 for overnight only (midnight to 7am)
Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holiday and Closed Day tariff (24 hours from midnight)
- Free all day.
If all on-site visitor parking is full, visitors can utilise the Sixfields Park and Ride for free parking, with £1.20 return bus fare. Additionally, for visitors to Waterside there are a number of Borough Council town centre car parks.
Directions to Waterside
Waterside Campus has one main entrance via University Drive, off the Bedford Road (A428). Access to the visitor car park (car park 2) can only be accessed this way – vehicles cannot drive through the campus. Please see the campus travel map.
For Sat Nav systems, please use:
- Waterside Campus – NN1 5PH
- Bedford Road – NN1 5NS
- St George’s Avenue – NN2 6JB
- Barrack Road (A508) – NN1 5NS
- Kingsley Road (A5095) – NN2 7BL
- Sixfields Park and Ride – NN5 5JT
- Download the St George’s Avenue map.
*RingGo charge a fee of 20p per transaction and automatically opts the user in for text message alerts for an additional 20p. Please consider this when you choose your payment preference.
Our brand new £330 million campus.
- Designed to adapt to 21st century teaching.
- Full range of integrated learning environments.
- 24/7 library and learning zone.
- Low environmental impact.