Your Wellbeing

Your health

If you’re moving away from home it’s important that one of the first things you do is register with a local doctor in Northampton.  If you’re living in halls of residence at our Waterside Campus you should register with our on-campus Doctors Surgery. This way they’ll have access to your medical records and be able to take the best care of you if you need medical advice while living away from home.


Find out about the accessibility of our buildings on the AccessAble website.

  • If you are disabled or have additional needs, the Additional Student Support and Inclusion Services Team (ASSIST) can help you to access all aspects of university life, take control of your learning and enhance your employability skills.

  • Your mental and emotional health is just as important as your physical health. If you are experiencing emotional or mental health difficulties our Counselling and Mental Health Team offer drop in sessions and one to one appointments.

  • The International Student Support  offers advice in a range of areas including visa and immigration as well as organising your International Orientation Programme. For full information on what support they can provide visit their Meet the Team page.

    Facing Culture Shock and feeling homesick

    Studying alone in the UK can be challenging for international and EU students. You will have to deal with everything yourself and many of you may experience culture shock in many aspects, for example from language and social behaviour to the weather and food. We recommend you visit the UKCISA website to get some tips on how to deal with culture shock and maintain a healthy lifestyle. You can visit its Experience Study Life page for a quick guide on British culture and more.

    Healthcare in the UK

    You may have concerns about what to do or where to go when you are feeling unwell. You may need medication or have toothache. Your health and wellbeing is important. If you are studying in the UK for longer than six months you can use our National Health Service (NHS) for free, subject to paying the Immigration Health Surcharge. You must register with a doctor, known as a GP (General Practitioner), as soon as you can after your arrival into the UK or after your isolation period has ended. Please read our UK Healthcare System Quick Guide to learn how the healthcare system works in the UK and find out how to register with a GP. This guide will also tell you what to do if you need to see a doctor or a nurse. For the latest Covid-19 UK government guidance, please visit UK Government Covid-19 Guidance and Support or visit NHS Covid-19 page for information on symptoms and test information.

    Money Management

    Studying in the UK can be an exciting and unique experience for you as it may be the first time of living independently away from your family. Many of you may have to learn how to manage your own finance for the first time. Our Financial Guidance Team has provided a Money Management guide on how to set up a budget and reduce spending, as well as ideas for money management and discount tips. Click here to find out how to save money during your studies in the UK. For more details on money matters, please contact our Financial Guidance Team (Student Hub, student login required).

  • Operating as a part of Student Services, the Multi-Faith Chaplaincy Team draws from a number of faith traditions and works for the benefit of all students – regardless of faith, belief, sexuality, or gender.

    You are welcome to drop in at any time to talk, meet with others, pray or simply enjoy some quiet time.

  • If you are a student living in halls of residence, our Residential Life Team can support you. Whether you are adjusting to living independently, need support with flat mates, or simply need someone to talk to.

  • We have a dedicated Information for Parents and Carers page detailing information you might want to know about the University of Northampton and student life as a parent or carer for a student.

    Find out what we can tell you as a parent or guardian of a student at the University of Northampton on our Student Confidentiality page.

  • Got money on your mind whilst you’re trying to study or maybe you’re just wondering about financial support available at university?

    The Financial Guidance Team are here to help. They can provide confidential support and guidance in several areas which include understanding Student Finance and your entitlement, University funds, awards & loans that you may be able to access, guidance around the financial implications of changes to your studies (such as repeating or transferring) and support around budgeting and managing your money.

Our Campus