Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
All students taking the courses listed below must complete an online enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). You must complete the online application and receive clearance (or been otherwise accepted) before you start your course. Applicants starting on these courses will receive an email from the University prompting them to start the DBS checks and/or overseas criminal records check when it is time to do so, this is usually June onwards for September start dates and in November for January start dates. The University will pay for the DBS check for these courses.
Courses which require DBS checks
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health MSc
- Dental Nursing FdSc
- Early Childhood Studies BA
- Education Studies BA
- Midwifery BSc
- Nursing (all branches) BSc
- Nursing Associate FdSc
- Occupational Therapy BSc
- Paramedic Science BSc
- PGCE / School Direct
- Primary Education QTS BA
- Podiatry BSc
- Pre-registration Physiotherapy MSc
- Return to Practice
- Social Work BA and MA
- Sport Rehabilitation and Conditioning BSc
- Working with Children, Young People and Families BA
- Youth and Community Leadership MA
Non-Medical Prescribing (NISP) – Completion of a DBS check is only required for NISP students if current DBS check not available through an employer. You will be required to pay for your DBS through our Finance Payment Portal if a new DBS check is required.
When it is time to start your DBS, you will receive an email from the University advising you to do so. You will also receive an email from our DBS check provider, First Advantage, inviting you to start your DBS check with them.
There may be up to 5 days between receiving the two emails, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not receive the invitation email after 5 days. Please check your junk folder first in case it has gone there.
Tips for completing your DBS check
- Input your name as it appears on your official ID, such as on your passport or Driving Licence. Do not use preferred names or shortened names – your DBS application will be rejected if you do.
- Use a Smartphone to complete the registration and DBS online if you have one.
- Ensure you have your ID with you and the last five years of addresses, including dates before you start your application
- Take your ID documents and the QR code provided upon completion of your DBS application to your selected Crown Post office as soon as possible
- If you have any problems completing your registration and application, use the Chat function in the bottom left-hand corner of the First Advantage screens.
You are now ready to start your DBS check, please ensure you do this as soon as possible so that you are ready to start your course on the start date.
Please read the following information carefully. You will need to act upon it as soon as possible.
You must provide an overseas police record check if you answer yes to all of the following questions:
- You have resided outside of the UK in the last five years.
- Your course requires completion of a police records check (known as DBS in the UK) – see list of courses
- You have accepted your offer
Each country has different methods and requirements for completing an overseas police records check. Please check your country’s guidance at Gov.uk and complete as per the instructions.
Police authorities in other countries may charge for this service – you will need to ask them what the cost will be.
Once completed, a copy of the police records check report and a copy of your passport must be sent to:
email@example.com for International students
firstname.lastname@example.org for UK students
- If you have lived in more than one country prior to coming to live in the UK, you will need to obtain a police report for every country.
- You will also need to complete a UK DBS check if you have resided in the UK for a minimum of 6 months.
Failure to obtain this information may result in you not being able to take up your placement on the course, which could jeopardise your place on the course.
If you already have an Enhanced DBS and have previously registered for the DBS update service you will not need to complete a further DBS as long as you meet the following criteria:
- You are not applying for either BA Primary Education or PGCE/PGCE School Direct
- Your DBS is an Enhanced DBS
- Your DBS is in the same ‘workforce’ as that for which you are applying
- You have your DBS certificate
Please advise us if you are in the update service and meet the above criteria. You will need to provide us with:
- the original copy of your DBS certificate
- one form of ID
- your permission to check your update service
Please contact Admissions on 0300 303 2772 or email email@example.com.
For more information on the DBS Update service please visit the Government website.