Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
All students taking the courses listed below must complete an online enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). You must complete the online application and receive clearance (or been otherwise accepted) before you start your course. Please read our instructions in the downloads section at the bottom of the page which include full details on how to complete the online application. The University will pay for the DBS check for these courses.
Course which require DBS checks
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health MSc
- Childhood and Youth BA
- Dental Nursing FdSc
- Early Childhood Studies BA
- Education Studies BA
- Health and Social Care FdSc
- Inclusive Studies in Special Educational Needs, Disability & Diversity BA
- Nursing (all branches) BSc
- Nursing Associate FdSc
- Occupational Therapy BSc
- Paramedic Science BSc
- Primary Education QTS BA
- Podiatry BSc
- Pre-registration Physiotherapy MSc
- Return to Practice
- School Direct Students
- Social Work BA and MA
- Sport Rehabilitation and Conditioning BSc
- Youth and Community Leadership MA
Non-Medical Prescribing (NISP) – Completion of a DBS check is only required for NISP students if current DBS check not available through an employer. You will be required to pay for your DBS through our Finance Payment Portal if a new DBS check is required.
Lived outside of the UK in the last five years?
If you have resided outside of the UK at any time in the last five years you will need to request an overseas police check from the country in which you resided. This is in addition to completing the UK DBS unless you have not lived in the UK during the last five years. Download the Enhanced Disclosure for non-UK residents (PDF, 105 KB) form.
If you already have an Enhanced DBS and have previously registered for the DBS update service you will not need to complete a further DBS as long as you meet the following criteria:
- You are not applying for either BA Primary Education or PGCE/PGCE School Direct
- Your DBS is an Enhanced DBS
- Your DBS is in the same ‘workforce’ as that for which you are applying
- You have your DBS certificate
Please advise us if you are in the update service and meet the above criteria. You will need to provide us with:
- the original copy of your DBS certificate
- one form of ID
- your permission to check your update service
Please contact Admissions on 0300 303 2772 or email email@example.com.
For more information on the DBS Update service please visit the Government website.