UNICEF Infant Feeding room
The Midwifery BSc Hons Programme at the University of Northampton achieved full UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative Accreditation in 2016 and again successfully re-accredited in June 2022.
Baby Friendly University Accreditation
Baby Friendly accreditation is based on evidence based standards for maternity, health visiting, neonatal and children’s services. These are designed to provide parents with the best possible care to build close and loving relationships with their baby and to feed their baby in ways which will support optimum health and development.
The Baby Friendly University Accreditation Programme is designed to ensure that newly qualified midwives and health visitors are equipped with the basic knowledge and skills they need to support breastfeeding and relationship building effectively.
Students on our Midwifery BSc programme are taught in line with the baby friendly initiative standards, equipping them with the knowledge and understanding, to enable them to fully support families on qualification with infant feeding and relationship building, which is pivotal to maternal and neonatal wellbeing.
Within the Learning Hub at Waterside Campus, there is a designated infant feeding and parent room which is available to all students, staff and the general public. This room provides a safe, private and comfortable space for infant feeding, expressing and newborn care.
Should you wish to use the room, please contact the information desk located on the ground floor of the Learning Hub and they will be happy to assist you.
For information on our standards please check our facilities page.
Looking for extra support and information?
We have put together some resources on parent and infant health and wellbeing that you may find useful, including infant feeding. They have been categorised so you can easily find what you need.
- Building a Happy Baby Guide – Unicef
- The Importance of Relationship Building YouTube Video – Unicef
- Responsive Feeding Infosheet – Unicef
- Baby, I Love You YouTube Video – Unicef
- National Breastfeeding Helpline
- Off to the Best Start (PDF) – NHS
- Positioning and Attachment (YouTube video) – Unicef
- Continuing to Breastfeed (YouTube video) – Unicef
- Breastmilk and Breastfeeding Guide (PDF) – First Steps Nutrition
- Friendly Breastfeeding Support – La Leche League GB
- National Childbirth Trust
- The Breastfeeding Network
- Association of Breastfeeding Mothers
- Breastfeeding Mothers’ Checklist (PDF) – Unicef
- Healthy Breastfeeding Diet – NHS
- Where Can I Breastfeed My Baby? – Breastfeeding Welcome Scheme
- 8 Relaxation Tips (YouTube Video) – MIND
- Muscle Relaxation (YouTube Video) – Every Mind Matters
- Find Care for Your Mental Health Before, During, and After Pregnancy – NHS
- Mental Health and Wellbeing – Tommy’s
- PaNDAS (Postnatal Depression Awareness and Support)
- Talking Therapies – NHS