Sport and Exercise Science BSc Welcome Pack
Welcome to Sport and Exercise Science BSc 2022.
Welcome to the Sport and Exercise Science BSc course at the University of Northampton.
Our course focuses on the scientific principles that underpin sport and exercise. It is practical-based, stimulating, well-structured and research-informed, covering a range of topic areas including biomechanics, anatomy, physiology, fitness training and psychology. We focus too on the applied nature of the course and as a result have a lot of practical elements using our purpose-built laboratories to develop your knowledge and understanding of the key issues within sport and exercise science. We are also proud to state that we are BASES and ACSM endorsed course which helps our student’s employability prospects after graduation.
You can expect to study in your first semester (Sept 22 – Jan 23) the following modules;
- SPO1039 – How to be successful (Module Leader – Saul Cuttell)
- SPO1008 – Anatomy and Human Movement (Module Leader – Brett Baxter)
- SPO1024 – Psychology (Module Leader – Rob Lyons)
In the second semester (Jan 23 – May 23), you can expect to study the following modules;
- SPO1012 – Introduction to Fitness Training Methods (Module Leader – Brett Baxter)
- SLS1010 – Introduction to Human Nutrition (Module Leader – Alex Lehner)
- SPO1003 – Physiological Function and Response (Module Leader – Brett Baxter)
Your Programme Leader
Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Science
Meet the Sport and Exercise Science Team
- Brett Baxter Brett.Baxter@northampton.ac.uk
- Robert Lyon Robert.Lyon@northampton.ac.uk
- Mairi Mulvenna Mairi.Mulvenna@northampton.ac.uk
- Alexander Lehner Alexander.Lehner@northampton.ac.uk
- Charlie Roberts Charlie.Roberts@northampton.ac.uk
- Mark Antrobus Mark.Antrobus@northampton.ac.uk
- Anthony Baross Anthony.Baross@northampton.ac.uk
- Tony Kay Tony.Kay@northampton.ac.uk
- Ben Wright Ben.Wright@northampton.ac.uk
Welcome and Induction Session
We anticipate that starting at university can be a big life event and so we want to welcome you and help you understand how everything works. Therefore, we would like to invite you to a pre-induction online chat about starting Sport and Exercise BSc course:
Where to go on your first day, how to read a timetable, how to use NILE, meet the programme leader and teaching team.
- Date: Monday 12 September
- Time: 10am BST
- Link: https://eu.bbcollab.com/guest/c5a114a9c77f4e05aa0f4efd82e24b97
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the session and remember the session will be recorded (i.e. for data protection purposes).
You are not required to purchase any mandatory kit or textbooks to start this course.
Sport and Exercise Science is a heavily practical based course so students will need to wear sportwear for many modules. All students will be provided with one of our course-branded t-shirts, and you can buy further branded kit from Kit Locker. While this is not mandatory, we recommend that students consider buying an additional pair of tracksuit bottoms / leggings for circumstances such as completing work based learning activities, and when representing both our course and institution.
Additionally, at the start of the first term, you may be given a choice of certain offers (i.e. free laptop, £500 off Halls accommodation etc.); we would highly recommend and advise you to pick the laptop offer because you will be required throughout the 3 years of your degree to use different software.
Enhancing skills, building networks and engaging in the wider University community
We would advise you to create a LinkedIn profile and to join our University of Northampton Sports Network as this can help you with placement positions, jobs and future employment. You do not have to do this, but it will help. You will need to make sure you have provided a profile picture on your account and a title explaining that you are a ‘First Year Undergraduate Sport and Exercise Science BSc Student’ and then connect with myself (Saul Cuttell). Following this, you can ask to be admitted to the group.