Computer Science BSc Welcome Pack
Welcome to Computer Science BSc 2022.
It’s my great pleasure to welcome you to the BSc (Hons) Computer Science course at the University of Northampton. This welcome pack is designed to provide you essential information to get you started in September. Throughout your time with us, our dedicated course team will teach you the key skills needed for your future career in the computing industry. As the course leader, I will be looking after you from all aspects to ensure you have a positive, challenging and rewarding experience at the University of Northampton.
Our BSc (Hons) Computer Science degree gives you the opportunity to explore different ideas and develop innovative solutions to current issues in the computing industry. This three-year Computer Science degree will give you an insight into the computing industry, investigating the wide-reaching influences that computers and computing technology have on the world, while making contributions to help find your ideal path for a career in Computing.
During your first year of this programme, you will study common computer science modules (e.g., Computer Systems, Software Engineering Fundamentals, Mathematics for Computer Science, Web Development, Problem Solving & Programming) which help you build a foundation for more advanced topics in subsequent years.
In your second year, you will continue your journey with the core computer science modules such as Data Structures and Algorithms, Operating Systems, Object-oriented programming, Web development, and Relational Databases, etc. You also need to do a group project where you will be a part of a small team to design and implement a solution of decent quality for a given task. This will help you develop not only technical skills but also key soft skills such as teamwork, effective communication, leadership, etc.
In your final year of study, you will further enhance your Computer Science knowledge/skills by doing high-level modules such as Advanced AI and Applications, Modern Databases, Cyber Security and Applied Cryptography, and Media Technology. You are also expected to complete an independent dissertation on a topic of your choice in the field of Computer Science (with some guidance from an assigned supervisor). This benchmarking module will allow you to show case your overall knowledge/skills learnt from the course.
I am looking forward to meeting you all in September!
Your Programme Leader
Dr James Xue
Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader for Computer Science
Your Programme Team
- Dr Suraj Ajit – Associate Professor Suraj.Ajit@northampton.ac.uk
- Dr Mark Johnson – Senior Lecturer Mark.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Mohammed Bahja – Senior Lecturer Mohammed.Bahja@northampton.ac.uk
- Dr Muawya Eldaw – Lecturer Muawya.Eldaw@northampton.ac.uk
- Dr Thomas Butler – Senior Lecturer Thomas.Butler@northampton.ac.uk
- Mandy Morrell – Senior Lecturer Mandy.Morrell@northampton.ac.uk
- Dr Mu Mu – Associate Professor Mu.email@example.com
- Amir Minai – Senior Lecturer Amir.firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome and Induction Session
In addition to your normal classes in your first week at The University of Northampton, there will be an online session where I will go through some critical information relating to your studies:
I will address key topics including:
- How to do well on the course
- Essential University Rules and Regulations
- The structure of the academic year
- Your responsibilities and duties as a student at the University of Northampton
- An outline of the personal tutorial process. (Your personal tutor will be identified in this session)
- Date: Wednesday 28 September
- Time: 2pm BST
- Link: https://eu.bbcollab.com/guest/a011efb543c340c59555fbb1fbccc16d
Please note this may be subject to change based on finalised timetables, but if there are any issues, I will ensure I notify you well in advance.