COVID-19 Updates: For advice and updates for staff, students, and applicants who may have concerns about the coronavirus outbreak please visit our Situation Updates page.

TV Licensing Information

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, as well as downloading or watching BBC programmes on iPlayer. You will need a licence if you are watching or streaming live TV on any of the following devices: TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

If you do any of the above without a valid TV Licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one.

For further information, please visit

  • There are lots of different ways to buy a TV Licence, so you can choose the most suitable one for you. You can pay through weekly cash payments, using your nearest PayPoint outlet, spreading the cost with monthly, quarterly or yearly direct debits, paying with a credit/debit card or by post.

    For more information on the ways to pay for your licence, please visit

  • Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you’re plugged in to watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or through an online live TV service, or if you download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. If there are TVs in communal areas, you will need to check with your halls’ manager to see if they’re covered by a halls’ licence.

  • You will probably only need one licence between you if you have a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house – this is the most common type of shared house arrangement. You will need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained (if you have exclusive access to washing facilities, or your own entrance to the property). You will also need your own licence if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your own room. If you’re not sure, please check out TV Licensing’s advice for tenants and lodgers.

  • Your parents’ licence will not cover you while you’re away at university, unless you only use a device that’s powered solely by its own internal batteries and is not connected to the mains.

  • If you’re leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there’s a good chance you won’t need your TV Licence if there’s one at home. You can find more details about the policy and apply for a refund online.

  • If you don’t need a TV Licence, you still need to let TV Licensing know.

Our Campus