There were double (and, for some, triple) celebrations for some of our students during graduation week after they won awards for achievements in several subjects.
Awards were presented to students who had gone the extra mile and performed exceptionally well with their academic work during their time at University of Northampton.
We spoke with a selection of the graduates for their feelings on receiving this extra recognition…
Laura Wood, Bachelor of Arts in Childhood and Youth received the Tony Smith-Howell Student Mentorship Memorial Award.
Laura Wood, Bachelor of Arts in Childhood and Youth, received the Tony Smith-Howell Student Mentorship Memorial Award. Dedicating this to the lecturer who passed away recently, she said: ‘I can’t believe how quickly graduation has come around. All the hard work has finally paid off and it feels like the biggest achievement ever…made even more special by being chosen to receive the Tony Smith-Howell award!
‘This is a real honour, he himself was such wonderful lecturer and mentor, to so many students both past and present, it is extraordinarily humbling to have been awarded it.’
Kady Middleton, won the Steve Scoles/Nene Enquirer award for Best Multimedia Journalism Student: “I feel very proud and honoured to be graduating. And the best part was my family watching from the audience and through the online live stream!”
Kady Middleton, pictured with Steve Scoles, won the Steve Scoles/Nenequirer award for Best Multimedia Journalism Student.
Clare Wilkie, Bachelor of Laws, claimed two awards. She is the winner of the Northamptonshire Law Society Prize for the Best Student in Year Three and also received the Max Engel Memorial Bursary: “I am delighted to receive these awards; it is a great way to finish an enjoyable three years at Northampton.”
Acting alumni Helena Fenton and Liam Faik.
Helena Fenton, Bachelor of Arts in Acting, was the recipient of the Martin Lawrence Award for Best Female Actor: ‘absolutely over the moon to achieve a first in something I am so passionate about. It’s been an incredible three years and I have met the most wonderful people.’
Liam Faik, Bachelor of Arts in Acting, said: “To graduate from a course that has challenged, inspired, and changed me for the better is one of my proudest moments. What makes it better is the excellent teaching and the talent of my fellow graduates. The BA Acting course at Northampton has allowed me develop my craft with exciting, challenging and interesting modules and for that I will always be grateful. It has fully prepared me for life outside of university.”
Mathias Friedel, Bachelor of Science in Adult Nursing, was the winner of the Being Brilliant Jan Brown Award: I am humbled and proud to receive the reward and hope to do it justice as a registrant through the care that I deliver to my patients.
Mathias Friedel, Bachelor of Science in Adult Nursing, won the Being Brilliant Jan Brown Award.
Bhavish Chutturdharry, Bachelor of Laws, was named winner of the Shoosmiths Prize for Outstanding Overall Contribution and Winner of the Oxford University Press Prize for Academic Achievement: “I am very proud to have successfully completed my LLB at the University of Northampton with First Class Honours coupled with two Awards for my Outstanding Overall Contribution and Outstanding Academic Achievement. My heartfelt thanks to all those who have contributed to such an achievement.”
Sophie Pueschel, Bachelor of Science in Mental Health Nursing, was named as the Being Brilliant Faculty Award: ‘I feel honoured and proud to receive this prestigious award. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me to get where I am today’.
Sophie Pueschel, Bachelor of Science in Mental Health Nursing, was also named as the Being Brilliant Faculty Award.
The full list of award winners is:
- Winner of the REMAP – Carpenter Award for Service Innovation: Jean Merrilees
- Winner of the Sport & Exercise Dissertation Poster Prize: Michael Puddiford
- Winner of the Sport & Exercise Dissertation Poster Prize: Shayaan Khan
- Winner of the Sport & Exercise Dissertation Poster Prize: Liam Yeo
- Winner of the Sport & Exercise Dissertation Poster Prize: Sam Gardner
- Winner of the Dawsongroup PLC Award for Best Marketing & Enterpreneurship Research Student: Alexandru Sipos
- Winner of the Tony Smith-Howell Student Mentorship Memorial Award: Laura Wood
- Winner of the Being Brilliant Jan Brown Award for Excellence in Adult Nursing: Mathias Friedel
- Winner of the Being Brilliant Faculty Award for Mental Health Nursing: Sophie Pueschel
- Winner of a BSc Irwin Mitchell Research Prize: Vikki Eglinton
- Winner of the HMGCC Prize for the Best Final Year Student and Winner of a University of Babylon MSc Scholarship: Sabr Ohood Hazim Sabr
- Winner of the HMGCC Prize for Best Dissertation: Warren Haskins
- Winner of the Barclaycard Best Business Related Dissertation Prize: Kelly-Nicole Maitland-Coffin
- Winner of a University of Babylon MSc Scholarship: Mustafa Hasan Abed Altameemi
- Winner of the Dr Ken Sherwood Memorial Prize for the Best Geography Dissertation: Bhavini Karadia
- Winner of the Best Undergraduate Dissertation in History: Katherine Brittin
- Winner of The Leathersellers Company Innovative Use of Leather Award: Sharon Mensah
- Winner of The Worshipful Company of Cordwainers Scholarship Award and Winner of the Footwear & Accessories Award at “Fashanne” – The East Midlands Fashion Awards: Loren Buckingham
- Winner of the Worshiphful Company of Cordwainers Innovation Fund Award: Jennifer Bristow
- Winner of the Errol Flynn Filmhouse Award for Outstanding Achievement in Film and Screen Studies: Rhiannon McHarrie
- Winner of the Hensmans Creative Concept Award: Elena Hristova
- Runner up in the Mothercare Childrenswear Award: Alisha Dhokia
- Winner of the Martin Lawrence Award for Best Male Actor: Liam Faik
- Winner of the Martin Lawrence Award for Best Female Actor: Helena Fenton
- Winner of the Steve Scoles/Nenequirer award for Best Multimedia Journalism Student: Kady Middleton
- Winner of the Fashion Design Award at “Fashanne” – The East Midlands Fashion Awards: Bethany Martin
- Winner of the People’s Choice Award at “Fashanne” – The East Midlands Fashion Awards: Mollie Crabree
- Winner of the Grant Thornton Award for Best Overall BSc Accounting and Finance Student: Hannah Brown
- Winner of the Elsby and Co. Award for Best Joint Honours Accounting Student: Jiarong Ye
- Winner of the ICAEW Award for Best Financial Accounting Student: Felicity Saunders
- Winner of the PQ Magazine Best Management Accounting Student Award: Rebecca Whittlestone
- Winner of the McIntyre Hudson Award for Best Taxation Student: Kamila Adam
- Winner of the Hawsons Accountants Award for Best Audit Student: Anuoluwapa Oshoko
- Winner of the Cottons Accountants Award for Best Corporate Finance Student: Laura Youens
- Winner of the Shoosmiths Prize for Outstanding Overall Contribution and Winner of the Oxford University Press Prize for Academic Achievement: Bhavish Chutturdharry
- Winner of the Northamptonshire Law Society Prize for the Best Student in Year Three and Winner of the Max Engel Memorial Bursary: Clare Wilkie
- Winner of the Sweet & Maxwell Prize for Best Undergraduate Dissertation in Law: Teodor Ontanu
- Winner of the Julia Pick Memorial Prize: Heshmy Chutturdharry
- Winners of the Bernie Ashmore Prize for Student Acheivement in the field of Globalisation and Development: Isabelle Hoyez and Pawandeep Sembhi – pictured below.