COVID-19 Updates: For advice and updates for staff, students, and applicants who may have concerns about the coronavirus outbreak please visit our Situation Updates page.

Do I need a Visa? How do I Apply?

Depending on your nationality and the type of course you choose to study, you may need to apply for a visa before coming to study in the UK. It is essential that you ensure you have the correct visa or immigration permission for studying in the UK. Find out if you need a visa by completing the UK Visas and Immigration online form.

When should I apply?

Once you have firmly accepted your unconditional offer and received your CAS you can start to prepare your visa application. The earliest you can submit your application is three months before your course start date. However, you can start preparing your application in advance, ensuring you have the correct documents and sufficient funds in your bank account.

Please check your CAS letter carefully. If you notice any errors please email as soon as possible so the errors may be rectified.

Applying from Overseas

For detailed information on applying for a Tier 4 Visa from your home country, please visit the UKCISA website.

To apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa from outside of the UK, you need to complete an online application form, with the exception of students living in North Korea who must apply in person.

You will then need to book an appointment at a Visa Application Centre. To find an application centre, please visit the Visa Application Centre (VAC) website.

When you attend your appointment you will need to take your printed application form with all of your supporting documents for your visa.

At the visa application centre you will have your biometric information (fingerprints and photograph) taken. In addition you may be interviewed. You may be asked to discuss why you want a Tier 4 Visa. You should be prepared to explain why you decided to study in the UK, why you chose to study at the University of Northampton and why you chose your course.

Whether you are making your first visa application for entry clearance or applying to extend your visa in the UK you are required to provide the correct supporting documents.

We advise you to refer to the Home Office Tier 4 Policy Guidance to make sure that all of your documents meet the Home Office requirements. The date of application is the day that you submit and pay for your application online. Please do not submit or pay for your application until all of your supporting documents are ready.

If after completing the online form you are still unsure whether you need a visa then please contact for further advice.

Renewing your visa in the UK

Please note, if you are applying to continue your studies in the UK, your new course must start within 28 days of the expiry of your permission to stay.
If you are progressing onto a new programme of study and applying in the UK, please follow the guidance below:

Please ensure that you have the appropriate funds to make your application. This includes your tuition fees and living fees. Please note you will also need to have sufficient funds to pay for the NHS Health Surcharge and your visa application fee.

When you have received your unconditional offer, please pay your tuition fees and email a copy of your receipt and CAS request to both and

When your CAS is ready you will receive an email from the CAS Team advising you to contact International Student Support Services (ISSS).

When you have prepared all of your supporting documents you will need to make an appointment with ISSS. Please go to the Student Help Desk to book an appointment. Please ensure you have registered an account with

UKVI and completed as many sections of the application as possible prior to attending.

ISSS will provide you with your CAS and check your application and supporting documents before you submit your application. We will then send your completed application to UKVI for processing.

To start the application process please visit the UKVI website.



Our brand new £330 million campus.

  • Designed to adapt to 21st century teaching.
  • Full range of integrated learning environments.
  • 24/7 library and learning zone.
  • Low environmental impact.

Now Open

Discover the campus

360° Tour