Dr Mu is a Lecturer in the Department of Computing and Immersive Technologies at The University of Northampton.
Previously he was a full-time Senior Research Associate in the School of Computing and Communications at Lancaster University, UK where he completed his PhD in Computer Science. Dr Mu's Master’s degree of Science was awarded by Darmstadt University of Technology (TU-Darmstadt) following an industrial master project at Deutsche Telekom.
- CSY3010 Media Technology
- CSY4010 Computing Dissertation
- CSY2041 Quality and User-Centred Systems
- CSY4013 Business Computing Dissertation
Dr Mu has been responsible for teaching, research, and the management of several European and UK projects. He also led the R&D of the Vision online IPTV system and the Storisphere storytelling platform for prototyping and user evaluation of new designs and development of creative media, context-aware distributed systems, and web technologies.
Dr Mu's current research interests cover the topics of QoE and human factor in multimedia systems, SDN/NFV applications, media orchestration, creative media as well as social and behavioral context integration. He published over 40 research papers in prestigious international conferences and journals, including IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Communications Magazine, IEEE Multimedia, ACM Multimedia and ACM Multimedia Systems. He regularly serves as a programme committee member or a reviewer of workshops, conferences and journals such as the Springer MMSJ, IEEE TMM, ACM MMSYS, ACM TVX, IEEE ICC, IEEE CCNC and Elsevier COMNET. Dr Mu also reviews books and project proposals.
- Slavova, Y. and Mu, M. (2018) A comparative study of the learning outcomes and experience of VR in education. In: IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces (IEEE VR 2018). Germany: IEEE. (Accepted)
- Ajam, H., Ramdhany, R., Hammond, M. and Mu, M. (2017) A middleware to enable immersive multi-device online TV experience. In: Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video. New York: ACM. (Accepted)
- Yuan, J., Lorenz, F., Lommatzsch, A., Mu, M., Race, N., Hopfgartner, F. and Albayrak, S. (2017) Countering contextual bias in TV watching behavior: introducing social trend as external contextual factor in TV recommenders. In: ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for Television and Online Video (ACM TVX). The Netherlands: ACM. (Accepted)
- Mu, M., Stokking, H. and Den Hartog, F. (2017) Network delay and bandwidth estimation for cross-device synchronized media. In: Montagud, M., Cesar, P., Jansen, J. and Boronat, F. (eds.) Mediasync: Handbook on Multimedia Synchronization. U.S.: Springer. pp. 1-28. (Accepted)
- Fawcett, L., Mu, M., Hareng, B. and Race, N. (2017) REF: enabling rapid experimentation of contextual network traffic management using Software Defined Networking. IEEE Communications Magazine. 0163-6804. (Accepted)
- Mu, M. (2017) Software defined cognitive networking: supporting intelligent online video streaming. IEEE Annual Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC). 2331-9860. (Accepted)
- Sani, Y., Mu, M., Mauthe, A. and Edwards, C. (2016) A Bio-inspired HTTP-based adaptive streaming player. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME 2016). Seattle, USA: IEEE. (Accepted)
- Mu, M., Broadbent, M., Farshad, A., Hart, N., Hutchison, D., Ni, Q. and Race, N. (2016) A scalable user fairness model for adaptive video streaming over SDN-assisted future networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 0733-8716.
- Yuan, J., Lommatzsch, A. and Mu, M. (2016) Applying topic model in context-aware TV programs recommendation. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 1670, p. 52. 1613-0073.
- Mu, M., Fawcett, L., Bird, J., Jellico, J., Simpson, S., Stokking, H. and Race, N. (2016) Closing the gap: human factors in cross-device media synchronization. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing. 1932-4553. (Accepted)
- Mu, M., Simpson, S., Stokking, H. and Race, N. (2016) QoE-aware inter-stream synchronization in open N-screens cloud. In: 2016 13th IEEE Annual Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC). Las Vegas: IEEE. 9781467392914. pp. 907-915.
- Fawcett, L., Mu, M., Broadbent, M., Hart, N. and Race, N. (2016) SDQ: enabling rapid QoE experimentation using Software Defined Networking. In: IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management. New York: IEEE. (Accepted)
- Niamut, O., Mu, M., Denazis, S. and Race, N. (2016) Social telemedia: the relationship between social information and networked media. IEEE Computer. 49(5), pp. 92-97. 0018-9162.
- Mu, M., Simpson, S., Farshad, A., Ni, Q. and Race, N. (2016) User-level fairness delivered: network resource allocation for adaptive video streaming. In: 2015 IEEE 23rd International Symposium of Quality of Service (IWQoS). USA: IEEE/ACM. 9781467371131. pp. 85-94.
- Mu, M., Knowles, W. and Race, N. (2015) Improving interactive TV experience using second screen mobile applications. In: 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia. Miami, Florida: IEEE Computer Society Press. (In Press)
- Dijkstra, S., Niamut, O., Efthymiopoulos, N., Denazis, S., Race, N., Mu, M. and Taal, J. (2015) STEER: Exploring the dynamic relationship between social information and networked media through experimentation. IEEE Computer Society Special Technical Community on Social Networking E-Letter. 3(2)