Kathleen is the previous Course Leader for Advertising and Digital Marketing. She teaches Integrated Marketing Communications, International Marketing Communications Research Methods and Advanced Qualitative Data Analysis.
Kathleen Mortimer is an Associate Professor in Marketing Communications at the University of Northampton, UK. Her research area is in advertising and consumer behaviour. More specifically, she has written in the area of services advertising, integrated marketing communications and advertising regulation. Her work has been published in numerous scholarly journals including Journal of Services Marketing, European Journal of Marketing and Journal of Marketing Management. Kathleen is a former Deputy Editor of the Journal of Marketing Communications and the Chair of the Marketing Communications SIG for the Academy of Marketing.
- Mortimer, K. (2018) As Doritos learned, not all lady publicity is good publicity. New Statesman. 07/02/2018
- Mortimer, K., Laurie, S. and Beard, F. (2018) Has advertising lost its meaning: views of UK and US millennials. Journal of Promotion Management. 1049-6491. (Accepted)
- Somerfield, K., Mortimer, K. and Evans, G. (2018) The relevance of images in user generated content. A mixed method study of when and why major brands retweet. International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising (IJIMA). 1477-5212. (Accepted)
- Mortimer, K. and Laurie, S. (2017) Partner or supplier: an examination of client/agency relationships in an IMC context. Journal of Marketing Communications. 1352-7266. (In Press)
- Mortimer, K. and Laurie, S. (2017) The internal and external challenges facing clients in implementing IMC. European Journal of Marketing. 51(3), pp. 511-527. 0309-0566.
- Laurie, S., Mortimer, K. and Beard, F. (2017) What is advertising? A study of the perceptions of Millenials. Paper presented to: 16th International Conference on Research in Advertising (ICORIA) 2017, Ghent University, Belgium, 29 June – 01 July 2017.
- Mortimer, K. and Laurie, S. (2016) Students’ attitude towards advertising in the new digital environment. In: ICORIA 2016. Ljubljana, Slovenia: Faculty of Economics, University of Ljubljana.
- Mortimer, K. and Laurie, S. (2016) The integration challenge: getting clients and agencies to work together. In: Radical Marketing: Academy of Marketing Annual Conference. Newcastle Business School, Northumbria University: Academy of Marketing. (In Press)
- Danbury, A., Palazza, M., Mortimer, K. and Siano, A. (2015) Cultural perspectives on advertising perceptions and brand trustworthiness. In: Alcantara-Pilar, J. M., Barrio-Garcia, S. d., Crespo-Almendros, E. and Porcu, L. (eds.) Alcantara-Pilar, Juan Miguel, Barrio-Garcia, Salvador del, Crespo-Almendros, Esmeralda and Porcu, Lucia Analyzing the Cultural Diversity of Consumers in the Global Marketplace. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. pp. 207-226.
- Dahl, S. and Mortimer, K. (2015) Legislation, regulation and ethics. In: Eagle, L. and Dahl, S. (eds.) Eagle, Lynne and Dahl, Stephan Marketing Ethics & Society. London: Sage. pp. 265-274.
- Pascoe, K. and Mortimer, K. (2014) Identifying entrepreneurs through risk taking behaviour: illegal downloading. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship. 16(2), pp. 183-199. 1471-5201.
- Mortimer, K. and Kerr, G. (2014) The Virtual lobby group: online petitions as a means of advertising regulation. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Research in Advertising (ICORIA). Netherlands: EAA.
- Lauska, D., Laurie, S. and Mortimer, K. (2014) The management of corporate personality: An IMC perspective. In: Proceedings of the 47th Academy of Marketing Conference, AM2014: Marketing Dimensions: People, Places and Spaces. Bournemouth: Academy of Marketing. 9781858993010.
- Danbury, A., Palazza, M., Mortimer, K. and Siano, A. (2013) Advertising and brand trust: perspectives from the UK and Italy. In: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Corporate and Marketing Communication: Responsible Communication – Past, Present, Future. Italy: University of Salerno. 9788890687365.
- Mortimer, K. and Pressey, A. (2013) Consumer information search and credence services: implications for service providers. Journal of Services Marketing. 27(1), pp. 49-58. 0887-6045.
- Laurie, S. and Mortimer, K. (2013) Implementation of integrated marketing communications: whose responsibility is it? In: Marketing Relevance: Academy of Marketing Conference Proceedings. University of South Wales: Academy of Marketing.
- Kerr, G., Dickinson, S., Mortimer, K., Waller, D., Beede, P. and Boddewyn, J. (2013) Special Session: Towards a global framework for advertising self-regulation. In: Proceedings of the 16th Biennial World Marketing Congress. Australia: Monash University. 9780939783168.
- Mortimer, K. and Laurie, S. (2012) Barriers to the implementation of Integrated Marketing Communications: the client perspective. In: Proceedings of Academy of Marketing Conference 2012. Southampton: Academy of Marketing. 9780854329472.
- Kerr, G., Mortimer, K., Dickinson, S. and Waller, D. S. (2012) Buy, boycott or blog: exploring online consumer power to share, discuss and distribute controversial advertising messages. European Journal of Marketing. 46(3/4), pp. 387-405. 0309-0566.
- Kerr, G., Proud, B., Kelly, L. and Mortimer, K. (2012) To boldly go where no advertising academic has gone before. Journal of Advertising Education. 16(1) 1098-0482.
- Mortimer, K. and Danbury, A. (2012) Trust me I’m an advert! How to create a trusting brand identity through advertising. In: Proceedings of ICORIA 2012. Stockholm, Sweden: European Advertising Academy.
- Laurie, S. and Mortimer, K. (2011) “IMC is dead. Long live IMC”: Academics’ versus practitioners’ views. Journal of Marketing Management. 27(13/14), pp. 1464-1478. 0267-257X.
- Danbury, A. and Mortimer, K. (2011) Affective involvement in advertising effectiveness: implications for interpretation of print advertisements. Paper presented to: 10th International Conference on Research in Advertising (ICORIA 2011), Berlin, 23-25 June 2011. (Unpublished)
- Kerr, G., Kelly, L., Proud, B., Fullerton, J. and Mortimer, K. (2011) We are the future: insights from the students of the world: special topic session. In: The Proceedings of the 2011 Asia-Pacific Conference. Brisbane, Australia: American Academy of Advertising.
- Laurie, S. and Mortimer, K. (2011) “IMC is dead. Long live IMC”: Academics’ versus practitioners’ views. In: Patterson, A. and Oakes, S. (eds.) Patterson, A and Oakes, S Proceedings of the Academy of Marketing Conference 2011: Marketing Fields Forever. Liverpool: Academy of Marketing. 9780956112234.
- Mortimer, K., Pascoe, K. and Ogilvie-Johns, G. (2010) Is it funny or just offensive: an examination of the relationship between humour and offence in UK advertising. In: Transformational Marketing: Proceedings of Academy of Marketing Conference. Coventry: Academy of Marketing. 9781846000317.
- Mortimer, K. and Grierson, S. (2010) The relationship between culture and advertising appeals for services. Journal of Marketing Communications. 16(3), pp. 149-162. 1466-4445; 1352-7266 (online).
- Mortimer, K. and Lloyd, S. (2010) Understanding advertisements: how difficult should it be? In: Haley, E. (ed.) Haley, Eric Proceedings of American Academy of Advertising European Conference 2010. Milan, Italy: American Academy of Advertising.
- Waller, D., Mortimer, K., Dickinson, S. and Kerr, G. (2009) On-line consumer empowerment and the advertising self-regulation process. In: Proceedings of the 2009 Asia-Pacific Conference. Beijing, China: American Academy of Advertising.
- Kerr, G., Dickinson, S., Mortimer, K. and Waller, D. (2008) Advertising agency empowerment in the world of new media. Paper presented to: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (Anzmac 2008), Main Conference Olympic Stadium, Sydney, Australia, 1-3 December 2008. (Unpublished)
- Mortimer, K. (2008) Identifying the components of effective service advertisements. Journal of Services Marketing. 22(2), pp. 104-113. 0887-6045.