Leather Technology PhD
2-4 years full time sept
2-4 years full time march
4-6 years part time sept
4-6 years part time march
4-6 years distance learning sept
4-6 years distance learning march
Full Time: £4,985
Part Time: £2,515
Full Time: £14,460
Get in touch
For questions regarding study and admissions please contact us:
UK/EU Students enquiries
International Students enquiries
If you are a graduate in a physical science or similar discipline, this course offers an excellent route to expand your knowledge and research skills within the leather industry and other allied industries. Successful defence of the final thesis will provide the researcher with the highest qualification that any UK university can award and offer an excellent opportunity to move into higher management positions within the industry.
Find out more about the Institute for Creative Leather Technologies.
- Access to on-site working tannery and laboratories.
- This course is unique to the University of Northampton.
- Bursaries and scholarships available for leather students.
This course is a way for you to develop a specialism in the leather industry and improve your technical skills.
While developing and setting up research projects, you will initially receive general, discipline based and project specific training so that you can go on to conduct your research work effectively and independently. When you finish this course, you will be able to find research and development roles in chemical companies and tanneries or progress into an academic career or enter business at a managerial level.
We are one of the foremost centres for leather education in the world and we are dedicated to delivering theoretical and practical education at the highest standards.
21/22 Tuition Fees
Fees quoted relate to study in the Academic Year 21/22 only and may be subject to inflationary increases in future years.
- UK – Full Time: £4,985
- UK – Part Time: £2,515
- International: £14,460
- £100 to cover PPE (one white lab coat, one blue lab coat, wellington boots and gloves) and contribution to raw material costs
- student Membership to the Society for Leather Technologists and Chemists (six journals per year and free attendance to the Annual Conference) This is optional and costs £26.50
- individual Spray Gun, £35 (Sponsorship may be available)
- a field trip to Italy usually costing around £150, due to subsidies from industry contacts
For tuition fee and studentship information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on the scholarships available to you, please see our scholarships page.
We are the only university in the UK to integrate leather technology with fashion, and the only university with a tannery. Industry leading leather experts deliver research, science, technology and supply chain knowledge on an international level. This programme allows you to research an area of particular interest and expand your skills and knowledge in this area whilst working within a research active and commercially focused department.