Social Life and Living on Campus
The Students’ Union helps to ensure that your time at the University is fulfilling and unforgettable. You automatically become a member when you enrol and it’s completely free. The Union provides access to a range of services and facilities.
The Students’ Union Is led by students for students and is here to support you during your time at University. They have a number of dedicated services that exist to support you through your university journey:
- They have over 60 affiliated Sports Clubs and Societies. Joining a student group is a wonderful way to either enhance your learning experience in one of our academic societies, or to develop a passion in one of our activity groups.
- They have an academic advice service that is completely independent of the University that exists to support you if you need support on matters relating to your course.
- They recruit, train and support Course Advocates who exist to represent the views of students to the University. If you would like to change something about your course, speak to one of your Course Advocates.
- They have 4 elected student officers who are employed by the Students’ Union to represent your views to the University, within the local community and nationally via the National Union of Students. If there is something you want to change about your student life in Northampton, come and speak with them!
They also have commercial activity on Waterside Campus, in the town centre and at Boughton Green Road halls of residence.
- The Engine Shed (Waterside Campus) – Café and student social space
- The Art Shop (Waterside Campus)
- The Platform Club and Café (George Row, Town Centre)
- UniExpress (Boughton Green Road Halls) – Convenience store
The Students’ Union have been presented with various high profile awards over the years, confirming the Union as being a safe venue with effective policies on drink, drugs, crime prevention, fire, security and first aid. The organisation has also won national awards for its environmental sustainability and societies.
Living in Halls
The Accommodation and Residential Life Team provides support to students living in university halls of residence, dealing with every element of student life on campus and in your accommodation.
If you’re homesick, tired of having noodles for the 3rd week in a row, have an issue with your flatmates, or just need someone to chat to – we are the people who can help. We understand that it can be hard to make the leap to independent living and adjusting to university life so we’re here to make that transition a bit easier.
You can get welfare support from our full-time Advisors and Officers, peer advice from our student assistants, or event ideas from our Student Coordinators, a member of the team is always on hand to help. Members of our accommodation team can assist with room transfers, guest requests and a host of other issues or tasks related to your halls of residence.
Our Private accommodation officer can help you find a room in the private sector once you leave halls at the end of your first year (although we do offer some spaces in halls to returning students too!).
Based at all three of our sites (Boughton Green Road, St. Johns and Waterside), we are here to listen to your concerns and share in your successes as well. We work closely with both internal and external support services so if we can’t solve an issue, we can direct you to someone who can. You can find us in The Student Village Reception (Boughton Green Road/Waterside) or main reception (St Johns) ready with a listening ear and a smile whenever you need.
Need to talk?
If you’ve got something troubling you and you want to talk to someone in confidence about anything that’s bothering you, no matter how big or small, you can call or instant message Northampton Nightline. Run by students, and supported by the Students’ Union, Nightline provides a non-judgmental, advisory confidential and anonymous support.