Students who are responsible for the care of a relative due to disability or chronic/ terminal illness may be eligible to apply for a Carers’ award of up to £2,000.
To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- you are a ‘Home’ student enrolled on a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate course at the University of Northampton. EU and International students are not eligible to apply for this award
- you must be responsible for the care of a relative due to disability, chronic/terminal illness, mental health problems or similar
- you must provide care for this relative on a full-time or part-time basis
- you must have been in receipt of Carers Allowance prior to enrolling on your course or be able to provide proof that you are a carer
How to Apply
To apply, you must complete a Carers Award application form and include supporting evidence. Application forms are available on the Student Hub (Username and password required).
The maximum award available is £2,000. If you are struggling financially, you may also be eligible to apply for the Financial Assistance Fund.
If you are eligible to receive the award, it will usually be paid in two instalments:
- 50% once your application has been received and assessed
- 50% in mid-February 2022
You may be eligible to apply for this award in future academic years, however this is subject to funds being made available and is not guaranteed. The Financial Guidance Team will contact all eligible students who have previously applied with further details.
The deadline for the Carers Award in the 2021/22 academic year is 8 July 2022.
If you have any queries, please contact the Financial Guidance Team at email@example.com.