COVID-19 Updates: For advice and updates for staff, students, and applicants who may have concerns about the coronavirus outbreak please visit our Situation Updates page.

Postgraduate funding

To make sure everything runs smoothly, we advise that you apply for funding before you enrol on your course. You don’t need a confirmed place at university to apply for your funding, you can use your preferred choice of course when you apply and then update these details later if needed.

Postgraduate loans for Master’s courses

If you are a UK student, living in England and studying for your first research or taught Master’s level course (leading to a full MA, MSc or MBA qualification) at a university in England, you may be eligible to apply for a Postgraduate loan of up to £10,906 (£11,222 in academic year 20/21) from the Government.

Loans may be available if you are studying on either a full-time or a part-time basis, and can be used towards tuition fees, living and course costs; please note, there are no separate postgraduate loans for tuition fees, and living costs. Loans are paid directly to you in three instalments during the academic year. They are not expected to be repaid until you have finished or left your course and have an income of £21,000 or more per year.

For more information visit The Student Room website or Find a Master’s website.

Loans for PhD-level study

If you are a UK student living in England and beginning a PhD-level course at a university in England, you may be eligible to apply for a PhD loan of up to £25,700 (£26,445 from 20/21) from the Government.

For further information, please visit the Find a PhD website.

Research Councils

If you are enrolling on a PhD-level programme, you may be eligible to apply to Research Councils for assistance towards tuition fees, living costs and course-related expenditure such as books or travel costs. If you are from the EU you may only be eligible for funding towards your tuition fees.

The Graduate School manage opportunities for postgraduate students in the UK to apply for Research Council-funded studentships.

For further information, please email

Charities and trusts

Many charities and trusts have grants available to postgraduate students. Often financial help is reserved for students from less affluent backgrounds, or of those who have achieved academic excellence.

Further information may be available from local libraries or specialised careers libraries. Useful publications may include:

  • the Educational Grants Directory
  • the Charities Digest
  • the Grants Register
  • the Directory of Grant Making Trusts

An organisation called Turn 2 Us may also provide further information about grants.

Further information and guidance about funding for postgraduate and PhD programmes, including scholarships and bursaries, can be found on the Prospects careers website. For information on scholarships and grants for PhD programmes, please contact The Graduate School.

Erasmus+ Master’s loan scheme

If you are from Spain, France or Luxembourg and applying for a postgraduate taught course with us, you may be eligible for funding through the Erasmus+ Master’s Loan scheme. This scheme may also be available for students from other EU countries, as well as for students from the UK to study in the EU. For further information about the Erasmus+ Master’s loan, please visit the Master’s Loan page.

I want to:

Get in Touch with the Financial Guidance Team

Telephone Email Blog
01604 893299 Money Matters



Our new £330 million campus.

  • Designed to adapt to 21st century teaching.
  • Full range of integrated learning environments.
  • 24/7 library and learning zone.
  • Low environmental impact.

360 Virtual Tour

Virtual tour