Wednesday 14 August 2013
ASSIST is the new name for the formerly known Access Ability team, based in Student Services, within Student and Academic Services.
ASSIST offers student-centred support to help students with additional or alternative needs and requirements to develop, progress and achieve their full potential. The team is here to support students’ throughout their time at university and can help them develop their skills and confidence to get the most from their student experience.
The team’s provision of support is guided by principles of fairness, inclusion and accessibility, enabling access for students with differing individual requirements as well as helping to eliminate unnecessary barriers.
ASSIST can, where appropriate, provide students with access to a diverse range of services and disability-related support including:
- 1:1 applicant information visits prior to starting a course
- Accessing the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)
- Providing initial screening tests for specific learning differences, such as dyslexia
- Arranging adjustments in exams, such as extra time
- Providing priority accommodation arrangements and disability-related adaptations
- Implementing specialist individual study skills support*
- Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPs) for halls accommodation and teaching spaces
- Facilitating accessible car-parking arrangements on campus
- Providing note-takers and study facilitators to enable access to the curriculum*
- Arranging external support provision through external services, such as Sign Language Interpreters*
- Liaison with academic and other university staff, and external agencies such as GP’s, healthcare professionals and funding bodies*denotes support that is usually funded through DSA
All team contact numbers and email addresses will be unchanged but web page addresses are in the process of being updated in conjunction with the wider University website upgrades that are currently being undertaken. This may result in some broken links the team is working to rectify any issues as quickly as possible, and would therefore appreciate your patience during this transitional period.
Please do not hesitate to contact the ASSIST team if you have any queries about the support it provides, including any disability-related concerns that you may have.
Telephone: 01604 893430 / 892390