The University of Northampton has been recognised for the third year in a row at the Investors in the Environment Awards for efforts to improve its environmental performance by winning the ‘Green Level Award’.
The ‘Green Level Award’, was awarded to the University for going above and beyond for environmental improvements over the last year including work on the University’s Waterside Campus, which will open in September 2018. Alongside this prestigious award, Simon Pole, Environment Advisor, also won ‘Best Green Champion Award 2018’, for his individual efforts in the field of Sustainability.
Simon Pole, Environment Advisor said: “Across the University, along with the Students’ Union, we’re working extremely hard to make improvements to the way we use resources and the impact this use has on the world around us. Over the last year we’ve seen some great reductions and efficiencies in our environmental performance.
“I’m delighted to have been awarded the ‘Best Green Champion Award 2018’ for my work on sustainability for achievements during challenging times. I want to thank the support of the Safety, Health and Environment Team and all involved with Waterside Campus.
Our environmental performance has shown positive trends. Highlights include:
· A 20% reduction in water consumption in 2017-2018 compared to the 2005-2006 baseline;
· We reused, recycled or composted 72% of total waste in 2017-2018;
· In 2017-2018, 57 tonnes of food waste were collected from Halls of Residences and Campus Restaurants; it used to generate 11,400KW of renewable electricity.
· 16,000 kWh of solar energy was generated in 2017-2018 by solar PV panels at Sulgrave and St John’s Halls of Residence and solar hot water panels at Spencer Perceval Halls of Residence
· In 2017-2018 the University reduced CO2 emissions by 1.6% compared to previous year.
· Over 8 tonnes of old stationary and educational equipment has been donated to Phoenix resource charity used across the world including schools in Syria.
Looking forward to the new Waterside Campus, our energy centre which includes a biomass boiler will save 1,000 tonnes C02 per year.
For more information on the University’s Environmental Policy or sustainability projects please contact the Safety, Health & Environment Team by emailing email@example.com.