Standard Visitor Visa

If you need to return to the UK after you have finished your studies, for example, to attend your graduation ceremony, you will need to apply for a standard visitor visa. Our Student Information Desk will be able to produce a student status letter to support your application.

Friends or family who wish to visit you while you are in the UK or to attend your graduation ceremony should also apply for a standard visitor visa. They cannot apply for, or extend, this visa in the UK. More information, including how to apply, is available on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website.

If your student visa permission does not allow you to remain in the UK for your Graduation you will need to return to your home country and apply for a Standard Visitor visa to re-enter the UK. ISSS can advise on the process and documents required. The fee is £115.

With the Standard Visitor visa you can stay in the UK for up to six months but you are not allowed to work (paid or unpaid) at any time. You can apply for this visa up to three months before your date of travel to the UK.

If you are required to return to re-sit exams or re-submit coursework you should apply for a Short-Term Study visa.


You must always show that:

  • you will leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • you are able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of the trip
  • you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit

Documents you must provide

  • a current passport or valid travel document. You will need a page in your passport that is blank on both sides for the visa
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, e.g bank statements or payslips for the last six months
  • a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh

Our Campus