Pre-entry costs for International Students
There are a number of pre-entry costs which are associated with studying in the UK. As it is likely that you will find the cost of living in the UK to be higher than you are used to in comparison with your home country, we recommend that you start to budget for this expenditure early in your application to study at the University of Northampton.
These costs include:
- £363 for your UK student visa (if you are applying from outside the UK)*
- £470 per year for your Immigration Health Surcharge **
- The cost of a Secure English Language Test, (if required)
- The cost of a TB test (if required)
- Tuition fee deposit and balance of tuition for visa purposes
- Accommodation deposit and balance of maintenance requirement for visa purposes
When you apply for your visa, you must already have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge and have sufficient funds in your bank account to cover:
- the balance of tuition fees after deduction of the deposit and up to £1,334 for accommodation
- the maintenance requirement for yourself (£1,023 per month) and any dependants (£680 per person), for up to a maximum of nine months.
*It will cost £490 to either extend or switch to a student visa if you are applying from inside the UK
**As student visas are often issued to cover a period of over a year, the Home Office do charge a part-year Immigration Health Surcharge fee. Therefore if your visa is issued for more than a year but less than 18 months, you will be required to pay an additional half of the yearly cost. If your visa is issued for more than 18 months but less than two years, you will be required to pay the cost of two full years.
(costs are correct at November 2022)
Preparing to manage your money in the UK
Further information about the typical cost of living in the UK is available on the UKCISA website.
The University of Northampton’s Financial Guidance team have budgeting and money management tips (including food, travel and utility bills guidance) on their Student Hub pages (student log-in needed).