Before You Arrive FAQs – International Students

Below are a list of FAQs that we receive that you may find useful as a new international student to UON. For any additional information, please visit in the international student support hub or the new students area.

  • When should I arrive?

    You should not regard the last date of arrival stated on your CAS as a target date to arrive. You should aim to be in the UK in time for the start of your course or as soon as possible afterwards. If you are unsure, or can’t travel to the UK before your last date of arrival, please email

    Can I bring dependants with me?

    Broadly speaking, in light of changes announced by UKVI on 17 July 2023, only the students coming to the UK to undertake a research course are permitted to bring dependants. UKCISA provides a full guide to bringing dependants including who can be a dependant, their work rights, the financial requirements and education for children. Should you have further queries about bringing dependants, please contact the ISS team: 

    How early can I arrive in the UK?

    You can arrive up to 1 month before your course start date, if your course lasts more than 6 months. However, you must not travel to the UK before the start date of your visa, no matter when your course starts.

    What are my options if I am unable to travel to the UK before the last date on my CAS?

    If you are not able to arrive by the last date of arrival shown on your CAS please contact as soon as possible and we will advise.

    What can I do to get ready for coming to the University?

    We will send you a series of emails once you have confirmed your place with us. These emails will provide next steps such as enrolling online, information about accommodation and travelling to the UK. Before every intake we run a pre-departure webinar for students about to start their courses with us. We will invite you to join by email.

    Please also visit our International Student Support webpages and new student webpages for information on international student orientation, and ongoing events and services on campus.

    Where can I find out about the rules for travelling to England?

    Please check the UK Government’s Rules for Travellers entering England carefully, to ensure you comply fully with the regulations.

    Should I let you know when I am arriving?

    The University requires you to complete our online form with details of your travel arrangements and contact address, so we are aware that you will be joining us.

    What else do I need to bring?

    In addition to your qualifications, CAS document and passport, you will need to bring your own laptop or similar device to access our online teaching platforms. We have a laptop loan system, but we cannot guarantee availability. Please note it is not always possible to use a smartphone to access online classes.

    Is there budget friendly accommodation for guests?

    We appreciate that you may have friends and family who will want to visit you after you’ve settled in. There are many different hotels and bed and breakfasts in the town, including our on-campus hotel, Sunley Hotel.

    There is also Northampton Travel Lodge which has local budget-friendly hotels in the area for your visitors wanting an extended stay in Northampton.

  • Why do I need to attend the Orientation Programme?

    The aim of the Orientation Programme is to provide you with practical information about living and studying in the UK and in Northampton. It is organised to welcome you to the university, meet new people and settle into your new surroundings. Each year we welcome students from all over the world and even if this is your first time in the UK, we hope that the University of Northampton will feel more like home.

    Do you offer English language support for international students?

    The Faculty of Business and Law offers workshops and one-to-one tutorial sessions that focus on English grammar. The workshops are offered to all students and will help you to improve your use of language in your written work.

  • Can I work during my studies?

    Student Visa students

    As a Student Visa Student studying in the UK, your visa will state whether you are allowed to work and the number of hours you are permitted to work. It is very important that you do not exceed the working hours on your visa as this will result in you breaching your visa conditions.

    • Pre-sessional English and Foundation programmes – up to 10 hours
    • Undergraduate students – up to 20 hours
    • Postgraduate students – up to 20 hours
    • PhD students – up to 20 hours

    Please note that students are permitted to work full-time during vacation.

  • How do I open a bank account?

    Since you won’t be able to open your UK bank account until you request a bank letter from the University, you should bring a credit card, debit card or a pre-paid currency card to ensure you have sufficient funds to see you through the first couple of weeks at least.

    You can find out more about managing your money in the UK on our pre-entry costs page.

    How should I pay for things?

    In recent times, debit and credit cards have become the preferred means of payment in most retail outlets.

    What is the weather like in Northampton?

    This graph shows the average temperature for Northampton, and what you can roughly expect.

    average temperature graph for Northampton

Our Campus