Zoe is a London-based freelance illustrator. Her work has appeared internationally in various publications including The New York Times, The Guardian, The Independent, Dazed and Confused and Le Gun. Zoe recently designed a series of images for the fashion line Marc by Marc Jacobs and she has collaborated on a number of projects with the fashion designer Luella Bartley. Between 2010 and 2012, Zoe illustrated”In the Cut”, a fashion column for AnOther Magazine’s digital platform, anothermag.com.
Zoe’s major interest is in exploring visual narrative and she is currently working on a series of comics and narrative-based drawings. Zoe’s academic research interests centre around theories of spectacle and the image, experimental narrative and visual narrative.
Zoe was awarded the Sheila Robinson Prize for Drawing in 2009 and an Oberon Book Award for illustrating Ice by Anna Kavan in 2008.
I have been a visiting lecturer at the Royal College of Art and at Norwich University College of the Arts. I graduated from the Royal College of Art in 2009.
Zoe teaches two second-year modules: Experimental Illustration and Illustration Projects 2. She also supervises on the third-year Final Major Project and dissertations.
For the Experimental Illustration module, Zoe has developed a series of short projects, each of which requires students to visually think in different ways. The projects explore issues such as representing scientific phenomena, exploring the communicative power of abstract forms, considering mimetic versus abstract approaches to visual interpretations of literature and thinking about the various modes of representing spaces. All of these projects emphasise the importance of composition in creating powerful images. Zoe has also developed a project that invites students to communicate their ideas using sculptural and installation-based approaches to illustration in a public exhibition context. The ultimate aim of the module is to encourage students to develop a personal visual language.
Within the Illustration Projects 2 module,Zoe has developed projects that draw on her research into sequential narrative, the illustrator as author, the interpretive power of editorial illustration and the potential for screen-based illustration.
Current practice-based research includes the development of a series of comics that explore the potential for melodramatic and ambiguous visual narratives and play with comic and cinematic forms. The stories are shaped around ‘interruptions’ of visual spectacle, surface texture and natural phenomena.
Zoe is developing a series of narrative-based drawings that explore mythic and spectacular iconography such as particular representations of landscapes, interiors, natural phenomena, the universe and imagery associated with cinema, music videos and glamour.
She is also developing a series of images that relate to a short story by Anna Kavan and reinterpret pop imagery from the 1960s.
Zoe’s current academic research focuses on theories of the image, spectacle, romanticism, and myth.
- Taylor, Z. (2016) Hero. In: Kessler, J. (ed.) Dome. Angouleme, France: Breakdown Press with Lagon. pp. 20-23.
- Taylor, Z. (2015) Artist’s demonstration. Invited Presentation presented to: Pick Me Up Selects 2015, Somerset House, London, 23 April-04 May 2015. (Unpublished)
- Taylor, Z. (2015) Awkward gestures. Varoom! The Illustration Report. (29), pp. 56-61. 1750-483X.
- Tejwani, S. F. and Taylor, Z. (2015) Developing her own visual style: Zoe Taylor. In: Tejwani, S. F. (ed.) The Art of Fashion Illustration : Learn the Techniques and Inspiration of Today’s Leading Fashion Artists. United States of America: Rockport Publishers, Quarto Publishing Group. pp. 10-13. [Interview]
- Taylor, Z. (2015) Gary Card’s spontaneous combustion. Varoom! The Illustration Report. (30), pp. 50-54. 1750-483X.
- Taylor, Z. (2015) Panelist. Symposium presented to: FIG Symposium, The Shop at Bluebird, Kings Road, London, 06 June 2015. (Unpublished)
- Taylor, Z. (2015) Show and tell. Invited Presentation presented to: Pick Me Up Selects 2015, Somerset House, London, 23 April-04 May 2015. (Unpublished)
- Taylor, Z. (2015) The Dance – fashion illustration by Jiakuann selected by fashion editor, Zoe Taylor. Varoom! The Illustration Report. (30), pp. 34-36. 1750-483X.
- Taylor, Z. (2015) Uncanny fashions – fashion film: Quentin Jones and Reed + Rader. Varoom! The Illustration Report. (28), pp. 10-15. 1750-483X.
- Taylor, Z. (2015) [Untitled]. Exhibit at: Pick Me Up Selects 2015. Somerset House, London, 23 April-04 May 2015.
- Taylor, Z. (2015) [Untitled]. Exhibit at: FIG UnFramed. The Shop at Bluebird, Kings Road, London, 29 May-17 June 2015.
- Taylor, Z. (2014) Illustrations for Marc by Marc Jacobs Resort Collection. [Clothing].
- Taylor, Z. (2014) Resistance through style: Antonio and Tom of Finland. Varoom. 27, pp. 58-61. 1750-483X.
- Taylor, Z. and Bartley, L. (2014) The Girl Who Fell To Earth. [Book].
- Taylor, Z. (2014) Transforming the Japanese comic tradition. Varoom. 27, pp. 38-41. 1750-483X.
- Taylor, Z. (2013) Drawings and self-published books. Exhibit at: 2013 Project. University of Central Lancashire, 16 April – 03 May 2013.
- Taylor, Z. (2013) Illustration for Cobalt Blue. [Image]. Rome and New York: Grey Publishing Group. [In: Grey Magazine. Issue 9, 2013]
- Taylor, Z. (2012) Fashion, drawing and narrative. Invited Keynote presented to: Dibujo E Ilustracion De Moda – Representaciones De Moda, San Sebastian Cultural Centre and Arteleku Contemporary Art Centre, Donostia, Spain, 25-30 July 2012. (Unpublished)
- Taylor, Z. (2012) Illustration for As the Heiress To Flight. [Image]. Rome and New York: Grey Publishing Group. [In: Grey Magazine. Issue 7, 2012]
- Taylor, Z. (2012) In the Cut: body of commissioned work for anothermag.com. [Drawings]. London: anothermag.com.
- Taylor, Z. (2012) Portfolio. [Portfolio].
- Taylor, Z. (2011) Illustration for Alien Iconography. [Image]. Rome and New York: Grey Publishing Group. [In: Grey Magazine. Issue 5, 2011]
- Taylor, Z. (2010) Illustrations. [Book]. London: Fourth Estate. [In: Bartley, Luella (2010) Luella’s Guide to English Style]
- Taylor, Z. (2010) Preparatory sketches and original drawings from Blue Hotel. Exhibit at: Silent Witnesses: Graphic Novels Without Words. The Collection, Lincoln, 29 May – 30 August 2010.
- Taylor, Z. (2009) Love and Theft: Drawing, Appropriation and the Cinematic. Lecture presented to: Draw Series, Royal College of Art, London, 06 May 2009. (Unpublished)
- Taylor, Z. (2009) The Ninth Floor. [Book].
- Taylor, Z. (2008) Blue Hotel. [Book].