- Reader in English
- course Leader, MA English (Contemporary Literature)
- leader of the SoTA Working Group for interdisciplinary research in trauma, narrative and performance
- member of the Contemporary Women’s Writing Network
- Associate Editor of the journal Contemporary Women’s Writing.
Sonya is currently module leader for the following modules:
- Modernism in Britain (Level 5)
- Contemporary Women’s Writing (Level 6)
- Gender & Writing (Level 7)
- Trauma Fiction (Level 7)
Sonya’s research interests are in contemporary women’s writing, especially Anglo-American literature, modern British fiction, feminist theory and pedagogy; and trauma narratives. She would be happy to supervise students working in any of these areas.
Current Research Projects
Sonya is currently working on a study of narratives of maternal loss, looking at the representation of grief in contemporary women’s fiction.
She recently made a successful application to the Marie Curie Foundation for an Inter-European Fellowship grant worth 190,000 euros. She is also part of a joint HEA bid on the use of academic Apps in Teaching and Learning.
Areas for supervision of research students
Sonya has supervised 7 doctoral students to completion and would welcome applications for postgraduate research on topics relating to contemporary women’s writing, modern British fiction, feminist theory, and trauma studies.
- ‘Representations of women in contemporary Egyptian literature’ (Second supervisor)
- ‘The relationship between text and image in contemporary illustrated fiction’ (Director of Studies and First Supervisor)
- ‘Modes of gendered address in the online space’ (Director of Studies and First Supervisor)