Sharon has a background in Child Health, working as a Children’s nurse and Health Visitor with BSc (Nursing), RGN, RHV, PGCE and MSc. Prior to joining the School of Education in September 2005, Sharon was the course leader for the Health Visiting course and Senior Lecturer on the Bsc and Msc Primary Health courses in the School of Health. She plans and delivers the health aspects within a variety of early years and education courses; this ensures a holistic curriculum for our students. Sharon has a particular interest in the nutritional needs of children and in mental health issues. Her interests outside work include being on the Chair of Governors in a local primary school.
- Child Nutrition
- Child and Maternal Mental Health
- School Health
- Clark, H., Day, K., Royal, P., Wright, P., Purvey, C., Norman, A., Lumsden, E., Peckham, K., Howells, K., Murray, P., Randall, V., Bayou, E., Blackwell, F., Barlow, J., Morton-Brown, J., Smith, K., Briggs, M., Lubrano, M., Jephcott, M., McGlone, F., Godfrey, K., Lord, S., McKaig, S., Smith, S., O’Neill, S., Brewis, T., Beswick, T., Beevers, V. and Veale, V. (2022) The Mental Health of Children and Young People. Children’s Alliance.
- Lumsden, E., Meechan, D., Richardson, T., Smith, S., Bugby, M., Dugan-Clements, C., Goy, P. and Rossetti, D. (2020) Student Experience of Learning, Assessment and Support during the Covid-19 Pandemic. : Creating a New Reality Phase One Report.
- Clark, H., Lumsden, E., Kotey, B., Royal, P., Baston-Pitt, L., Coleman, N., Derbyshire, E., Finnigan, T., Forster, S., Graham, C., Greenfeild, S., Jones, G., Kelly, Y., Kolodziejczyk:, I., Marzocca:, R. and Smith, S. (2015) The Early Years. APPG Fit and Healthy Childhoods.
- Smith, S. and Morris, T. (2009) Child health. In: Waller, T. (ed.) An Introduction to Early Childhood: a Multidisciplinary Approach. 2nd ed. London: Sage. pp. 180-192.