Dr. Renate Bräuninger has a background in both music and dance.
She received an MA in Musicology, Performing Arts and German Literature from the Ludwig Maxmilians University, Munich, Germany. A scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) allowed her to study at the Performing Arts Department at New York University. In New York she also created her own choreography and participated in the choreographic workshops at Dance Theatre Workshop under the direction of Bessie Schönberg.
She was an Associate Lecturer at different German Universities and a Lecturer in Dance and Choreography at the University of Winchester as well as at Liverpool Hope University. As a Research Assistant at Middlesex University, London, she was working with Susan Melrose in the area of practice as research.
Dr Bräuninger’s PhD is about discursive strategies applied to the analysis of the relationship between music and movement in dance and film. She has widely published both in English and her native language.
She regularly presents papers at international conferences and has been invited as guest lecturer in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. She is a member of Royal Musical association and the World Dance Alliance Americas.
- Braeuninger, R. (2014) Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker’s Vortex Temporum by Rosas & Ictus. Invited Presentation presented to: Society for Dance Research Choreographic Forum, Sadler’s Wells Theatre, London, 09 June 2014. (Unpublished)
- Braeuninger, R. (2014) Documenting choreographic process: Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker in print and DVD. Dance Chronicle – Studies in Dance and the Related Arts. 37(3), pp. 377-383. 0147-2526.
- Braeuninger, R. (2014) Structure as process: Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker’s Fase (1982) and Steve Reich’s music. Dance Chronicle – Studies in Dance and Related Arts. 37(1), pp. 47-62. 0147-2526.
- Braeuninger, R. (2009) From text to the figural. In: Phelan, S. A. (ed.) Dance Research Forum Ireland 2nd International Conference Proceedings: Mediating Movement: Communication and Dance. Limerick, Ireland: Dance Research Forum Ireland. pp. 76-82.
- Braeuninger, R. (2009) Montage, flashback and the figural the musical/choreographic analysis. In: Betzwieser, T., Mungen, A., Muenzmay, A. and Schroedter, S. (eds.) TANZ im Musiktheater – Tanz als MUSIKTHEATER: Bericht eines internationalen Symposions über Beziehungen von Tanz und Musik im Theater. Würzburg: Königshausen & Neumann. pp. 203-213.