Senior Lecturer in English and Admissions Tutor for English
William Morris Society Trustee and former Honorary Secretary and Vice Chair; member of the Editorial Board for The Journal of William Morris Studies; member of the British Association for Victorian Studies; External Examiner for the University of Wolverhampton.
Phillippa is currently Module Leader for the following modules:
- Nineteenth-Century Literature (Level 4)
- Gothic Literature (Level 5)
- Wonders Dreams and Marvels: Victorian Fantasy Writing (Level 6)
- Brave New Worlds (Level 7).
Other areas of teaching expertise include Eighteenth-Century Literature and Romanticism.
The life and work of William Morris. Nineteenth-century literature, particularly medievalism, the development of the romance form, gothic writing and utopian writing; nineteenth-century Socialism and Communism and the development of revolutionary ideals; nineteenth-century aesthetics, including Pre-Raphaelitism, architecture and the Arts and Crafts movement; nineteenth-century explorations of Iceland and the revival of the literature of the Great Old North.
Current Research Projects
Phillippa has recently published a co-edited collection of essays on William Morris’s literary, aesthetic and political legacy in the twenty-first century and is also working on a book on William Morris’s Last Romances.
Areas for supervision of research students
Phillippa would welcome applications for postgraduate research on topics relating to William Morris, nineteenth-century literature and culture, Gothic and Fantasy writing.
- ‘Morality versus Materialism, an interminable dichotomy: Radical discourse in eighteenth-century thought and literature 1750-1800’.
- ‘The Village Shop and Rural Life in Victorian England: Cultural representations and lived experience’.
- Bennett, P. (2015) Wonderlands: The Last Romances of William Morris. Oxford: Peter Lang. 9783034309301.
- Bennett, P. (2013) Member of Editorial Board. The Journal of William Morris Studies. Hammersmith: William Morris Society. 1756-1353.
- Bennett, P. (2013) Vice Chair. William Morris Society.
- Bennett, P. (2013) Educating for Utopia: William Morris on useful learning versus ‘useless toil’. The Journal of William Morris Studies. 20(2), pp. 54-72. 1756-1353.
- Bennett, P. (2013) Rethinking the politics of William Morris’s last romances. The Victorian. 1(1) 2309-091X.
- Bennett, P. (2012) The fallen woman in Victorian literature. Invited Presentation presented to: Fallen Women and New Women in Victorian Literature, Nottingham, 04 September 2012. (Unpublished)
- Bennett, P. (2012) Victorian sensation fiction. Invited Presentation presented to: Victorian Sensation Fiction, Nottingham, 12 June 2012. (Unpublished)
- Bennett, P. (2011) Teaching the Victorians. Workshop presented to: Midlands Interdisciplinary Victorian Studies Seminar (MIVSS): Interdisciplinarity: Methods and Frameworks for Teaching the Nineteenth Century, Birmingham City University, 24 June 2011. (Unpublished)
- Bennett, P. (2010) Rejuvenating our sense of wonder: the last romances of William Morris. In: Bennett, P. and Miles, R. (eds.) Bennett, Phillippa and Miles, Rosie William Morris in the Twenty-First Century. Oxford: Peter Lang. pp. 209-228.
- Bennett, P. (2010) Riot, romance and revolution: William Morris and the art of war. The Journal of William Morris Studies. 18(4), pp. 22-35. 1756-1353.
- Bennett, P. and Miles, R., (eds.) (2010) William Morris in the Twenty-first Century. Oxford: Peter Lang. 9783034301060.
- Bennett, P. (2009) The Last Romances and the Kelmscott Press. London: William Morris Society.
- Bennett, P. (2008) “This most romantic of deserts”: William Morris and the nineteenth-century Icelandic pilgrimage. Paper presented to: International Medieval Conference (IMC 2008), Leeds, 7-10 July 2008. (Unpublished)
- Bennett, P. (2008) A legacy of “Great Wonders”: the last romances of William Morris and the Kelmscott Press. AE: Canadian Aesthetics Journal. 15(Fall) 1496-3140.
- Bennett, P. (2007) Beyond Arthurian romances. The Journal of William Morris Studies. 17(1), pp. 79-80. 1756-1353.
- Bennett, P. (2007) From Highgate to Upmeads: Morris and the Violent Revolution. Keynote presented to: William Morris Research Seminar, University of Northampton, 17 November 2007. Chair and convenor (Unpublished)
- Bennett, P. (2007) Riot, Romance and Revolution: William Morris and the Art of Violence. Invited Keynote presented to: Midlands Interdisciplinary Victorian Studies Seminar, Birmingham University, 17 February 2007. (Unpublished)
- Ukaegbu, V. and Bennett, P. (2007) Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice. Performance at: Masque Theatre Open Air Productions Museum Courtyard, Northampton, 26 July – 4 August 2007. Performers: Kendall, R, Street, M, French, K, Smith, J, Bannister, E, Hill, P, Bedford, R, Stringer, S, Walker, R, Ukaegbu, Victor, Chappell, D, Spiby, I, Dougall, B, Hillman, B L, Pollitt, S, Vaughan, R, Clarke, I, Robinson, P, Nobre, M, Nobre, V, Wright, D and Nettleship, A
- Bennett, P. (2007) The architecture of happiness: building utopia in the last romances of William Morris. Spaces of Utopia. 1(4), pp. 113-134. 1646-4729.
- Bennett, P. (2005) Rediscovering the topography of wonder: Morris, Iceland and the last romances. The Journal of William Morris Studies. 16(2&3), pp. 31-48. 1756-1353.