Nick Naumov is a Lecturer in Hospitality and Tourism Management and is the Programme Leader for BA (Hons) International Hospitality Management Top-up. Nick has previously taught travel, tourism, hospitality and aviation courses at various institutions such as King’s College London, St Peter’s College and West Herts College. Before joining the University of Northampton as an Associate Lecturer in 2015, he was an Academic Manager at UK College of Business and Computing in London and a programme leader for their HND in Travel and Tourism.
Prior to his academic career, Nick worked within the hospitality, travel and tourism industries across United Kingdom, USA and his native Bulgaria. His first job as a front desk apprentice was when he was 14 and since then he has worked across various departments within aviation, tourism and hospitality operations such as air fares and ticketing, passenger service operations, front office management as well as food and beverage management.
Nick has undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications in hospitality and tourism management from Assen Zlatarov University (Bulgaria) and University of Bedfordshire (UK) and he is currently completing his PhD at King’s College London. Nick is a certified IATA/UFTAA travel agent, Certified Hospitality Educator (AHA) and Certified Hotel Sales Specialist (Marriott International).
Nick is a member of a number of professional bodies such as Tourism Management Institute, Royal Geographical Society, Association for Critical Heritage Studies, International Geographical Union (IGU), Travel and Tourism Research Association and acts as an ad-hoc reviewer for many tourism and hospitality journals.
Nick teaches various modules across our BA (Hons) International Tourism Management and BA (Hons) International Hospitality Management Top-Up programmes. He is the module leader for LEI3003 Innovation in Tourism and Hospitality Management and LEI3015 Leading Service Quality in Hospitality. Nick also supervises undergraduate and postgraduate students for their research projects and dissertations.
Nick’s research interests include:
- citizens’ power in tourism decision-making
- political support for tourism development
- residents’ perceptions of tourism impacts
- politics of tourism
- sustainable tourism development
- Service Quality
- hospitality operations
- leadership in hospitality
- innovations in hospitality management
- customer satisfaction
- Qualitative Methodology
- case study analysis
Special Interest Tourism
- heritage and cultural tourism
- religious tourism and pilgrimage
- community-based tourism
- authenticity in heritage attractions
- intangible forms of heritage
- techniques of heritage interpretation
- tourism and World Heritage
Historical and cultural geography
- historical geographies of communism
- cultural landscapes
- geographies of memory
- national identity
- Naumov, N. and Green, D. (2016) Mass Tourism. In: Jafari, J. and Smith, X. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Tourism :. Frankfurt: Springer International Publishing. pp. 594-595.
- Naumov, N. (2013) Research Themes for Tourism. European Journal of Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation. 4(2), pp. 149-150.
- Naumov, N. (2017) Bulgaria. In Dwary, L. (Ed.) The SAGE International Encyclopedia of Travel & Tourism. New York: SAGE (forthcoming)
- Naumov, N. (2016) Book Review of ‘Cultural Tourism, Hilary du Cros & Bob McKercher, London, UK, Routledge. European Journal of Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation, Vol.7 (1), pp.72-73.
- Garayeva, N. & Naumov, N. (2016) Religious sites as tourism attractions: The case of Azerbaijan. International Hospitality and Tourism Student Journal 8 (1), 8-14.
- Naumov, N. & Green, D. (2015) Mass tourism. In Jafari, J. & Xiao, H. (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Tourism., Springer, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-01669-6_378-1
- Naumov, N. (2015) Heritage Tourism in the Age of Transformation. Proceedings of Tourism in the Age of Transformation: 50th Anniversary of the foundation of Tourism at Varna University of Economics, 6-7 November 2015, Varna University of Economics, Varna, Bulgaria.
- Hristov, D. & Naumov, N. (2015) Allies or Foes? Key Challenges Facing the Shifting Landscape of Destination Management in England, TOURISM – An International Interdisciplinary Journal, Vol. 63 (2), 193-203.
- Naumov, N. (2014) Urban Heritage Tourism – Current issues and complexities. Illuminare: A Student Journal in Recreation, Parks and Tourism Studies, Vol.12 (1), 67-75.