- Programme Leader for MSc Health Studies.
- Module Leader for SLSM100 Bioethics.
- Module leader for SLSM004 Research Methods: Philosophy and Study Design.
- Module Leader for SLS2006 Body Matters.
- Module Leader for SLS3005 Researching Populations’ Health.
- Module Leader for SLS3006 Ethical Issues in Health.
- Teaching for SLS1007 Health over the Lifespan.
- Teaching for SLS2009 Research Methods.
- Supervision for SLS4001 Dissertation.
- Supervision for SLSM019 Masters Dissertation.
This module covers the sociology of the body, the reproducing body, the gendered body, the commodification of the body and body modification through enhancement technologies. It explores how the body is shaped by the interaction of structure and agency, by intrafamilial relations, and by representations of the body in the mass media.
This module covers gender and health, ethnicity and health, local and global health inequalities, health policy, communities and health and health promotion. It covers the role of government in protecting and promoting the health of the population and the shift from the old to the new public health.
Ethical Issues in Health
This is an interdisciplinary module covering the ethical, legal and social issues associated with health policy, health practices and health technologies. It covers genetic testing, genetic privacy and genetic discrimination, surrogacy and the redefinition of the family, stem cells, organ transplants, inequalities and social justice. A common theme is examining how ethical decisions are made and shaped by social norms and values.
Philosophy and Study Design. This Masters module covers the different epistemologies that inform research and the different research traditions including positivism and interpretivism. It covers qualitative and quantitative methods and methodologies including grounded theory, ethnography, phenomenology, interviews, focus groups, survey design and data analysis.
This advanced module explores the social construction of ethical issues, or how social problems come to be defined as ethical issues. It covers the development of moral agency and a moral consciousness, intergenerational justice, globalisation and global ethics. It also covers the formation of local and global social movements that are organised around ethical issues.