Jonathan Adams graduated from the University of Bradford in 1990 with a B.Eng. degree in electrical and electronic engineering. He also holds a Certificate in Education from the University of Leicester, and an M.A. in Continuing Education from the University of Warwick. His industrial background is in the lift making industry where he spent nearly 10 years. For the past 17 years he has been employed at The University of Northampton specialising in distance education for the lift industry. He is currently Head of Lift Education, and Associate Head of the University’s Framework.
His research interests include teaching and learning strategies used in continuing education, and in the use of electronic methods for delivery, assessment and support, and he is currently undertaking a PhD in this area.
He is a Teaching Fellow of The University of Northampton.
Education and Qualifications
- PhD Engineering Education The University of Northampton 2006-present
- MA Continuing Education The University of Warwick 1996
- Certificate in Education The University of Leicester 1994
- BEng Elec/Electronic Engineering The University of Bradford 1990
- Head of Lift Education (full time)/ The University of Northampton 2008
- Associated Head of Frameworks
- Senior Lecturer (full time) The University of Northampton 1992 – 2008
- Lecturer (part time) Nene College Northampton 1990 – 1992
- Research Engineer The Express Lift Co Ltd 1990 – 1992
- Undergraduate Apprentice The Express Lift Co Ltd 1986 – 1990
- Indentured Technician Apprentice The Express Lift Co Ltd 1983 – 1986
- Member of The University of Northampton Learning and Teaching Committee
- Chair of The University of Northampton Distance Learning Working Group, which reports to the above committee
- Head of Lift Education
- Course leader for BTEC Lift Technology and FDSc Lift Engineering programmes.
- MSc Lift Engineering:
- Front line tutor
- LIFM007 Control Systems (module leader)
- Dissertation supervisor
- BSc Engineering:
- First year problem solving and creativity in engineering
- ENG3001 Applications of Technology (module leader)
- ENG3002 Computer Simulation and Modelling (module leader)
- Project supervisor
- Head of Lift Education
- Engineering Education
- Graduate skills development
- Problem Solving and Creativity in Engineering
- Open and distance learning
- The use of robots in teaching
- Problem Solving and Creativity for Engineers
- The inclusion of Robots within problem-solving”
- Higher Education Academy Engineering Subject Centre: 2007-2008: £2500
- Developing key engineering graduate skills using Learning Objects”
- Higher Education Academy Engineering Subject Centre: 2008-2009: £3500
For publications, projects, datasets, research interests and activities, view Jonathan Adams’s research profile on Pure, the University of Northampton’s Research Explorer.