Helena is an Academic Practice Tutor with CfAP. She sees students on a one-to-one basis or as groups for help and guidance with a range of study skills.
Helena is interested in making this advice accessible to all members of the university across the world. She is developing strategies to help with this and am keen to work with academics and other staff across the institution more. She spent many years working at The University of Northampton as an Academic Librarian and have an interest in information skills as well as keeping up to date with developments across both campus libraries.
Before coming to Northampton Helena spent a number of years working for Kent County libraries, as well as some time packing fruit for supermarkets for my first job.
She graduated from her first degree in Leeds in 2001 and started working at the University of Northampton in the same year. She has enjoyed a few different roles in the library since then and worked with various Schools at both campuses. Helena gained her Masters in Modern English and Linguistics in 2005 whilst working here and her PGCTHE more recently. She is also a Chartered librarian and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Beeson, H. (2016) Book review: Emerging Strategies for Supporting Student Learning by Barbara Allen. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education. 10 1759-667X.
- Beeson, H. (2016) Book review: Metaliteracy in Practice. Library and Information Research. 40(123), pp. 106-108. 1756-1086.
- Beeson, H. and Swinton, K. (2016) Design informed by COOL. Workshop presented to: Collaboration Observation Celebration Event, The University of Northampton, 21 September 2016.
- Laurie, S. and Beeson, H. (2016) Reflecting on reflection: what we know and what we need to know; insight from a capstone marketing communication module. In: Proceedings of the 49th Academy of Marketing Conference, AM2016: Radical Marketing. Newcastle: Academy of Marketing. (Accepted)
- Blackmore-Wright, J. and Beeson, H. (2016) Team based learning: improving results, engagement and experience for international students. Other presented to: West East Institute (WEI) International Academic Conference on Education and Humanities, Harvard University, Boston, 01-03 August 2016.
- Blackmore-Wright, J. and Beeson, H. (2016) Team based learning: improving results, engagement and experience for international students. WEI International Academic Conference Proceedings. 2016(August) 2167-3179.
- Blackmore-Wright, J. and Beeson, H. (2016) Team-based learning: improving results, engagement and experience for international students. Workshop presented to: UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) Annual Conference 2016, University of Sheffield, 29 June – 01 July 2016.
- Beeson, H. and Blackmore-Wright, J. (2016) Teaming up against a passive lesson: how team-based learning enables participative professionals. Other presented to: Northampton Learning and Teaching Conference 2016: Dare to be Different, The University of Northampton, 17 May 2016. (Unpublished)
- Beeson, H. and Farmer, J. (2015) Crossing the borders and bridging the gaps: strategies for dealing with ‘Education with Others’ from a multidisciplinary perspective. Workshop presented to: Association of Learning Development in Higher Education (ALDinHE), Southampton Solent University, 30 March – 01 April 2015. (Unpublished)
- Beeson, H. (2014) Reflection for scientists. Seminar Presentation presented to: 11th Association for Learning Development in Higher Education (ALDinHE) 2014: Learning Development Spaces and Places, University of Huddersfield, 14-16 April 2014. (Unpublished)
- Beeson, H., Swinton, K. and Woods, N. (2013) Move us and shake us: adapting to new challenges. Invited Presentation presented to: 10th Association for Learning Development in Higher Education (ALDinHE) Conference 2013: Celebrating Learning Development, Plymouth University, 25-27 March 2013. (Unpublished)
- Beeson, H. (2013) Review of: Only Connect: Discovery Pathways, Library Explorations and the Information Adventure. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education. 6(Nov) 1759-667X.
- Beeson, H., Swinton, K., Woods, N. and MacLellan, F. (2012) Collaborative learning: enhancing the student experience through LLS. Poster presented to: Research Active: Library and Learning Services Conference 2012, Sunley Conference Centre, University of Northampton, 19 June 2012. (Unpublished)