Graduated from St David’s University College, Lampeter (now University of Wales Trinity Saint David) with a 2.i (hons) B.A in Geography, before going on to complete an MSc in Environmental Management at Stirling University in 1990, and a PhD in Climate Change and Water Resources in Wales, at University College Wales – Aberystwyth (now Aberystwyth University) in 1994. Lectured at Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education from 1993-1995 before joining the University of Northampton in 1995.
- Member of School of Science and Technology School Student Experience Committee (SSEC)
- Member of School of Science and Technology Quality, Standards and Enhancement Committee (QSEC)
- Currently supervising two PhD students
- External examiner for undergraduate geography programme at one university and senior external examiner (both programme and module) at a second university
- Research grant reviewer for Defra, the Scottish Funding Council, EPSRC, and NERC
- Reviewed book proposals for a number of publishers (including Oxford University Press, Sage, Routledge, and Wiley)
- Member of council of the Society for Nautical Research (2011- )
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
- Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the British Hydrological Society
- Member of the American Water Resources Association
- Member of the Society for Nautical Research
Course leader MSc Environmental Management
Field Leader for the Postgraduate Field of Environmental Science
- ENV1107 – Principles of Physical Geography
- GEO1013 – Geographical Techniques
- ENV2111 – Weather and Climate
- ENV2104 – USA Field Module
- ENV3005 – Air and Water Pollution – Applications
- ENV3110 – Dryland Environments
- ENV3124 – Water Resource Management
- GEO3030 – Geographers at Work
- ENV4106 – Physical Geography Dissertation
- GEO4008 – Geography Dissertation
- ENVM001 – Approaches to Environmental Management and Policy
- ENVM002 – Research Methods
- ENVM006 – Environmental Restoration
- ENVM008 – Water Resource Management
- ENVM011 – Research Thesis
- ENVM026 – Sustainable Urban Environments
- ENVM028 – Climate Change and Risk Management
Water resource management, impacts of climate change on hydrology, management of drought and floods, and the application of sustainable urban drainage systems.
- Atufu, C. E. and Holt, C. P. (2018) Evaluating the impacts of flooding on the residents of Lagos, Nigeria. WIT Transactions on the Built Environment. 184, pp. 81-103. 1743-3509.
- Ellis, C., McCormick, W. D., Tinarwo, A. and Holt, C. P. (2016) Do domestic rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) show individual consistency in their response to being handled? Seminar Presentation presented to: 5th Postgraduate Research Symposium, Moulton College, Northampton, 15 December 2016.
- Tudor, T. L., Holt, C. P., Freestone, N. P., Bhaskaran, G., Suresh, M. and Banga, S. (2016) Sustainability practices and lifestyle groups in a rapidly emerging economy: a case study of Chennai, India. International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development (IJESD). 15(4), pp. 337-351. 1474-6778.
- Ellis, C., McCormick, W. D., Tinarwo, A. and Holt, C. P. (2015) Measuring personality in companion animals. Seminar Presentation presented to: 4th Postgraduate Research Symposium, Moulton College, Northampton, 11 December 2015.
- Katampe, B., McCormick, W. D. and Holt, C. P. (2015) The contribution of aquaculture to food security. Seminar Presentation presented to: 4th Postgraduate Research Symposium, Moulton College, Northampton, 11 December 2015.
- Holt, C. P. (2011) Presidential address. Invited Keynote presented to: International Seminar on Climate Change and Sustainable Resource Management, Department of Geography, University of Madras, Chennai, India, 25-26 February 2011. (Unpublished)
- Crockett, R. G. M. and Holt, C. P. (2011) Standardised Radon Index (SRI): a normalisation of radon data-sets in terms of standard normal variables. Natural Hazards and Earth System Science. 11(7), pp. 1839-1844. 1684-9981.
- Holt, C. P. (2010) Climate change and temperature extremes. Seminar Presentation presented to: Amrita University, Kochi, India, 29 March 2010. (Unpublished)
- Crockett, R. G. M. and Holt, C. P. (2010) Direct data-transformation calculation of standardised precipitation indices. Poster presented to: European Geosciences Union, General Assembly – Geoscientific Time Series Analysis, Vienna, Austria, 02-07 May 2010. (Unpublished)
- Crockett, R. G. M. and Holt, C. P. (2010) Standardised radon index: a normalisation of radon data-sets in terms of standard normal variables. Poster presented to: European Geosciences Union General Assembly – Radon and Natural Hazards, Vienna, Austria, 02-07 May 2010. (Unpublished)
- Holt, C. P. (2010) The challenge of water sustainability in India. Paper presented to: International Workshop on Natural Resources and Environmental Management, Chennai, India, 13-14 September 2010. (Unpublished)
- Jones, J. A. A., Mountain, N. C., Pilling, C. G. and Holt, C. P. (2007) Implications of climate change for river regimes in Wales: a comparison of scenarios and models. In: Ferreira, J. P. L. and Vieira, J. M. P. (eds.) Ferreira, J P Lobo and Vieira, José M P Water in Celtic Countries: Quantity, Quality and Climate Variability. Wallingford: IAHS Press. pp. 71-77.
- Holt, C. P. and Billiald, A. (2007) Water demand, climate and climate change in the Anglian region of the UK – a case study of Hunstanton, Norfolk. In: Robinson, P. J., Jones, A. J. J. and Woo, M.-k. (eds.) Robinson, Peter J, Jones, A J J and Woo, Ming-ko Managing Water Resources in a Changing Physical and Social Environment. Rome: Società Geografica Italiana. pp. 47-54.
- Holt, C. P., Phillips, P. S. and Bates, M. P. (2000) Analysis of the role of waste minimisation clubs in reducing industrial water demand in the UK. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 30(4), pp. 315-331. 0921-3449.
- Holt, C. P., Phillips, P. S. and Bates, M. P. (2000) Effectiveness of waste minimisation projects in reducing water demand by UK industry. Journal of American Water Resources Association. 36(5), pp. 1013-1022. 1752-1688.