Undergraduate funding

To prevent funding delays at the start of the year, we recommend students apply for funding before enrolling on their course. Students can apply for funding without a confirmed place at University using their preferred course choice. Applications can be amended or even cancelled before enrolling.

Government support towards tuition fees and living costs

UK students enrolling on full-time undergraduate,  PGCE, or MSc Physiotherapy courses may be eligible  for a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance England (or regional funding body) to pay for tuition fees.* Tuition Fee Loans are paid directly to the University on the student’s behalf.

Alongside Tuition Fee Loans, students may also be eligible for a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs. Maintenance Loans are means-tested against the household income and dependent on other factors such as the location of the University and mode of study (full time or part-time). Maintenance Loans are paid directly to students in three instalments across the academic year. Use the Student Finance Calculator to help approximate Maintenance Loan entitlement.

Additional non-repayable funding may also be available to students with dependent children, adult dependents and/or disabilities.

Applications for student loans and grants can be made online on the Student Finance website. Access support using SFE’s guide.

Additional support for allied health professional courses

Students enrolled on Nursing, Midwifery, and allied health professional courses may be eligible for additional non-repayable grants from the NHS Learning Support Fund (LSF) each academic year of their studies. Funding may include a:

  • £5,000 training grant
  • £1,000 specialist subject payment for students on Mental Health Nursing, Learning Disability Nursing, Podiatry courses at the University of Northampton
  • £2,000 Parental support for students with children
  • Reimbursement of excess travel and dual accommodation expenses
  • Means-tested Exceptional Support Fund for students who experience unexpected financial hardship during their studies.

Further details are available on the NHS Business Services Authority website.

Funding for students from the EU

EU students enrolling on their first undergraduate, or PGCE, or MSc Physiotherapy course may be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance Services.

EU students may be eligible to receive help towards their living costs with a Maintenance Loan see Student Finance for EU students and the Finance for full-time EU students page on the UCAS website for support.

EU students who are financially dependent on a family member who is currently and will continue to work during their studies could be considered either a Migrant Worker or the family member of a migrant worker student funding.

Further information for EU students can also be found on the UKCISA website.

Repaying Tuition fee and Maintenance loans

Students are not usually expected to repay Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans until the April after leaving their course and once earning over £25,000 per year (for students starting after August 2023). Repayments will be 9% of any income over £25,000. Repayments will stop if the income drops below this amount, but interest may still accrue on the balance.

Outstanding loan balances will be written off forty years from the date repayments were due.

Visit the Student Loan Repayment website for more information.

Previous higher education study*

Previous study on a higher education course, in the UK or overseas, may affect entitlement to student funding. Contact the regional funding body and the University of Northampton Financial Guidance Team for support before enrolling on a new course.

Contact the Financial Guidance Team

Our Campus