We are delighted that you will be studying a programme with us during this academic year. Please download our International Getting Started and International Handbook 2016/17 brochures for further information.
International Orientation Programme
Our Student Services team hosts an International Orientation Programme which offers you the opportunity to
- become familiar with your campus and the town of Northampton
- meet new and existing students and make new friends
- get used to life in the UK before beginning your studies
- go to social and cultural events
Studying at university in the UK may be very different to how you studied in your home country. Your course at the University of Northampton will challenge and develop your skills in:
- independent learning
- application of learning
- critical thinking
- use of group work
- different forms of assessment
We offer a short online study skills preparation course, which will help you to understand what is expected of you at an English university. To access the course, log in to NILE and search for ‘Study Skills Preparation Course’, which you can then add by clicking on the enrol button.
English language requirements
International students should provide a recent recognised English language qualification, which must indicate your level of competence in listening, reading, speaking and writing. All applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements below:
- for study at undergraduate level: minimum standard IELTS 6.0 (or equivalent)
- for study at postgraduate level: minimum standard IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent)
If you do not meet these requirements, we offer English language courses in:
- Pre-sessional Academic English: The minimum language requirement to join this programme is IELTS 4.0 or equivalent
- International Foundation Programme: The minimum language requirement to join this programme is IELTS 5.0
Please contact the International Office for further information about English language courses available.