Money is often the biggest concern for prospective students; however, you may be eligible to apply for support towards tuition fees and living costs from a variety of sources. These include the University of Northampton’s scholarships, bursaries and awards as well as a range of statutory support from the Government for undergraduate and postgraduate courses (including Student Finance loansdisabled students allowance and childcare support). Please note that your eligibility to receive funding will depend on you meeting certain assessment criteria which may include your new course, residency status, household income, and any previous higher education study you have had (whether in the UK and/or overseas).

In addition, students may be eligible to receive either a discount or an exemption from paying council tax and assistance with healthcare costs.

The Financial Guidance team are available to help if you have any queries about the type of funding that may be available to you, having difficulty managing your money, or have any financial concerns. The team also have a partnership with the Northampton Citizens Advice if you have a more complex debt or benefit query, to ensure that you are given the best guidance possible. The team also assess students for additional funds which may be available from the University. These include the Financial Assistance Fund, which may provide discretionary financial assistance to UK students to help them access and remain in higher education as well as alleviating unexpected financial hardship (eligibility criteria apply). Awards from the Fund are made according to assessed need and can vary between £100 and £4,500. They do not usually have to be repaid.

Students who are applying for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) and require an educational psychologist’s report, and/or have to pay the first £200 towards the cost of DSA-recommended computer equipment themselves, may be eligible to apply for help towards this expenditure through the Fund (eligibility criteria apply).

There is also support for students leaving care or from a Foyer from the Care leaver/Foyer award, and the Carers Award may be available to students who are responsible for the care of a relative due to a disability, chronic/terminal illness, mental health problems or similar, who they care for on a full-time basis (eligibility criteria apply).

Please be aware that this additional funding is not a guaranteed source of income.

For further details, please contact the Financial Guidance team at