The programme benefits those who are involved in work with young people in voluntary or paid roles to develop skills and knowledge in youth work practice. The programme is a nationally recognised qualification endorsed by the National Youth Agency and accredited by ABC Awards. This course is in partnership with Free2Talk and is a diploma on the QCF framework.
Park Campus, the larger of the two campuses, is set in 80 acres of open green parkland, occupying an impressive and spacious site.
Facilities available on-site include a sports hall, restaurant, Students’ Union, Student Centre, shop, bar and nightclub. Safe and secure accommodation for more than 1,300 students is spread throughout Park Campus, with the majority placed within our student village combining stunning green spaces with welcoming Halls of Residence.
A Multi-Faith Chaplaincy and Medical Centre (providing a full GP service and free counselling) are also available at Park Campus.
Park Campus is within easy walking distance of a busy, local shopping area, complete with banks, supermarkets, shops and pubs.
The University of Northampton
Boughton Green Road
The Diploma in Youth Work Practice is a nationally recognised qualification at level 3 endorsed by the National Youth Agency and accredited by ABC Awards. The programme benefits those who are involved in work with young people in voluntary or paid roles, who want to develop skills and knowledge in youth work and have the opportunity to progress into higher education to pursue the attainment of a professional status.
The programme offers a blended learning approach which includes workshops, seminars and online resources and is led by experienced and qualified youth and community work professionals. Learners will develop a portfolio for assessment to demonstrate competencies and provide a record of practice.
Learners will enjoy use of the University of Northampton’s resources and gain advantage from the success in social enterprise AshokaU Changemaker campus, recognised for its success in integrating social enterprise in the learning environment.
Methods of Learning
You will participate in taught sessions to develop knowledge and understanding which you will then apply in practice using the resources and tasks provided to demonstrate your skills.
The assessment strategy is designed to reflect the skills needed in youth work practice.
Each learner will develop a Portfolio including evidence such as:
• reflective journal
• planning and evaluation tools
• supervision records and feedback
• visual or audio evidence
• annotated items
- Batsleer, J. and Davies, B. (2010) What is Youth Work? Exeter: Learning Matters
- Cottrell, S. (2013) The Study Skills Handbook 4th ed. Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan
- Gilchrist, R. (2011) Reflecting on the Past: Essays in the History of Youth and Community Work. Lyme Regis: Russell House Publishing Ltd
- Jeffs, T. and Smith, M. (1987) Youth Work. Basingstoke : Macmillan Education
- Sapin, K. (2009) Essential Skills for Youth Work Practice. London: Sage
- Wood, J. Westward, S. and Thompson, G. (2015) Youth Work: Preparation for Practice. Abingdon: Routledge
- Young, K. (2006) The Art of Youth Work. 2nd ed. Lyme Regis: Russell House / Children and Young People Now Youth and Policy
- Leader in Charge in Youth Work Practitioner posts
- Opportunities to progress to Higher Education to complete a professional level qualification in Youth and Community Work
How to apply
Direct application with applicant information session and interview
Contact email@example.com for more information.
Learners must have:
• Worked (as an employee or volunteer) in an established youth work environment for a minimum of ten hours per week and have been supervised by a qualified worker
• Attained a Level 2 Certificate in Youth Work Practice or equivalent and be DBS cleared
• Participate in an induction and evaluation event
• Commit to regular supervision of the learner
Fees and funding
Fees quoted relate to study in the Academic Year 16/17 only and may be subject to inflationary increases in future years.
Payment for this course is via our online store.
If you have a Employer/Sponsor who is paying your fees and they require an invoice please visit the link and choose the option “Invoice to Employer”