Fashion Design BA Welcome Pack
Welcome to Fashion Design BA 2022.
Welcome to The University of Northampton and to the exciting, fast paced, award winning subject area of fashion and leather. Our academic staff team are among the best in the world thanks to their dedication to their teaching, research, publication, and practice. The team have been recognised for excellence in teaching, learning and assessment through fellowships to the Higher Education Academy.
In addition, individuals have been nominated, shortlisted and/or won awards within the University and been recognised externally by being awarded the title of Freeman of The Worshipful Company of Cordwainers, presented their research internationally through conferences and exhibitions and bring to the curriculum a rich industry background and experience. As a team, we are all dedicated to offering you the very best student experience and supporting you on your journey, not just in your academic studies but also beyond.
We look forward to meeting you during the online welcome activities and over the course of your studies. The fashion team and I are delighted that you are joining us and wish you the very best for an enjoyable and successful academic journey. In the meantime, have a look at what our fabulous students have been doing on Instagram @fashionuon
Your Programme Leader
Subject Leader Fashion/Leather & Foundation
Drawing sessions will be scheduled as part of the teaching and workshops, and we have supplied a list of suggested materials to help guide you.
Suggested Materials and Equipment
- Pens, pencils, and paint brushes varying sizes.
- Pencils – A range of pencils, hard and soft versions, HB, good for defined lines however the softer pencils 2B, 3B upwards are good for getting a good fluid but energetic line.
- Pencil Sharpener – very important, to allow you to get the very best out of your pencil; a sharp pencil creates strong marks, creating depth and texture, essential for interesting mark making when illustrating for fashion.
- Black Fine liner – A real variety on the marketplace, experiment and find a brand of fine liner which is good developing your personal style. It is worth buying a range of pens with a variety of sizes of nibs.
- A3 Marker Pad – A more expensive version of the layout pad, the paper has a more refined finish, which allows marker pen to be added to developmental sketch work. Most brands will have a version; marker pads can vary in price.