Early Childhood Studies (Top-Up) BA Welcome Pack
Welcome to BA Early Childhood Studies (Top-Up) 2022.
Your studies will be supported by tutors from a range of professional areas in the field of Early Childhood and you will have the opportunity to build on your knowledge and practice skills through the academic study of Graduate Leadership, Research and Inquiry, and Early Years Pedagogy. You will also have the opportunity to undertake a research project in Early Childhood.
We will help you to:
- establish a rigorous understanding of young children’s holistic development in the early years through detailed analysis and evaluation of inter-disciplinary theoretical perspectives and research evidence
- develop a comprehensive and critical understanding of contemporary services and support for young children and families in a multi-agency context
- extend and refine your critical reflection on your own practice in the Early Years Foundation Stage and your graduate leadership and support of others
- support your progress towards the achievement of relevant professional standards and roles, for example in relation to Early Years Teacher Status or as preparation for further training in teaching with QTS or social work
You will complete an independent dissertation, which we will prepare you for, with specific modules on theory and research skills.
Your Programme Leader
Senior Lecturer in Education (CYF)
Welcome and Induction
We are looking forward to seeing you on Monday 5 September for your Top Up induction and first session. Find information about the day below.
- Date: Monday 5 September 2022
- Time: 9.30am – 4pm
- Location: Learning Hub, Waterside Campus
Timetable of day
Please note this timetable and room allocation may be subject to change.
- 9.30am – 10.30am: Meet at the Student Information Desk on the ground floor of Learning Hub. Enrolment from 9.30am on ground floor of Learning Hub. N.B. Final opportunity for optional module selection.
- 10.30am – 11am: Welcome to Early Childhood Studies (Top-Up) and Meet the Group (LH127). Forthcoming year overview.
- 11am – 12pm: Library searching session (journal focus)
- 12pm – 1pm: Lunch
- 1pm – 2pm: Learning Development session
- 2pm – 3pm: Dissertation topic selection and study groups (including coffee break)
- 3pm – 4pm: NILE introduction and surgery
Formal teaching continues at 9am Monday 3 October with module EYS3137. You will be given your detailed timetable and list of assignments at the induction day.
If you have not chosen your optional module yet or are thinking of changing your mind, the last opportunity will be on the 5 September 2022 at the induction session. We are strongly recommending that EYS 3137 Early Years Pedagogy would be a good choice for you all as it is tailored to meet the needs of those already in practice and is delivered all day on Mondays. Please note that the other specialist module EYS 3136 Health and Social Care is taught on a different day.
Watch the below video from the tutors of Early Childhood Studies (Top-Up) as a welcome to the course.