Foster Carers / Social Workers
Progression to Higher Education is an exciting time, but we understand that the amount of information available can be overwhelming, and the breadth of support available for young people that have experienced care can be a big deciding factor in what university a Care Leaver attends.
We try to make our information as clear and easily accessible as possible, however there are some things you can do to assist your young person in their decision too:
- Research into courses and universities, the earlier the better. UCAS provides guidance on where Care Leavers can start their research.
- Propel provides a search function for young people to research universities by the support they offer to Care Leavers.
- Advise young people to identify themselves as Care Leavers at every stage of the university application process, so that they are eligible to access every possible area of support, and assure them this will remain confidential, will not be shared with anybody else, nor effect their application.
- Encourage attendance at Open Days, as they can be a real benefit to alleviate some concerns they may have by meeting support staff face-to-face.
- Get in touch with our Schools Liaison team (who are very happy to offer sessions specifically for groups of local authority staff, Personal Advisers or school/college staff) to help improve your own knowledge of the university application process, in order to support care experienced students further.
Our brand new £330 million campus.
- Designed to adapt to 21st century teaching.
- Full range of integrated learning environments.
- 24/7 library and learning zone.
- Low environmental impact.